Ask and answer questions about AstroFlux.
#67431 by DaGGerz Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:20 pm
TheCen wrote:Just going to say his one more time. English only in global has to be the dumbest rule I've ever seen in a game. That is all.

In what way? I could swear at people in Kurdish and Arabic and you wouldn't know what I meant. If you want to talk to someone in your own language; pm them, group with them, be in the same clan as them. It's not hard and the rule doesn't even apply to local anymore. It's to make moderation easier for us because google translate is terrible and if there's slang involved then useless.

Yes normally people with the same name as moderators are instantly deemed suspicious because of the malicious uses that can arise. It's a bad system from the devs because having the same name as someone else should have been blocked.

#67434 by TheCen Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:31 pm
This game is used all over the world. The fact that you have to censor it to begin with is strange. And then once you say you can't speak any other language but English in global.. that leaves many players that can't even speak English in a weird spot. This also puts the mods in a tight position too. And since it's English only on global why would it matter if someone is cussing in global in another language when 90% of the players can't read the language being spoken? Especially when we get into the land of the Asian players. Most players from any other country do not know Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.. yet they aren't allowed to speak in global and thus get banned. It's a dumb rule that can't possible grow the game. Instead it gets enforced and pushes players away.

Before the censor I totally saw a point to moderation. After the censor was placed in the game... a mod's job literally changes to catching people that dodge the filter. If you didn't have to censor any of it, none of these issues would exist and the game might be played by way more players. That's my thoughts anyway. I don't see why you'd want to cater to only English speaking players when there are countries/cultures out there that have more players in them than the rest of the world and they don't speak English.

Maybe, change the roles. You go and play a game where only Japanese can be spoken and you try to reach out to other players; you get banned. You're not going to play that game are you?

It's an antiquated system that needs revamping and some of the words now that aren't even cuss words get censored. Super annoying when you are typing a long sentence out and half your words are censored and you didn't even cuss once.

If speaking English in global was so damned important. Censor out all the other languages. Can't be too hard judging by the ample supply of words we currently can't even use in chat.

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#67435 by TheSupreme Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:38 pm
Hey cen. Let's look at this in another prospective Ok?
As this game is 95% english, for new players to join and see another language in chat, it would probably be confusing. Entire conversations in global would be very hard to follow, if at all, and as the moderators said, they can't really moderate what is going on in those conversations. Sure, there aren't many non-english speakers in this game, but words are words. What is the difference between one person seeing something (s)he doesn't want to see and 100 people seeing something they don't want to see? There is no real difference, other than the number of people. This also prevents loopholes as some people who enjoy trolling would login and spamming random stuff in other languages/cussing people out.

I see the rule in place a very good one.

Removing this rule would only cause chaos. This isn't the solution we need. Instead what the developers could do(actually what many games do) is setup servers(or in this case,dimensions) for the most common languages spoken. Though, even this seems pointless as there really are so few non-english speakers.

#67436 by TheCen Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 pm
TheSupreme wrote: Though, even this seems pointless as there really are so few non-english speakers.

Hmmm and I wonder why that is?

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#67437 by TheSupreme Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm
TheCen wrote:
TheSupreme wrote: Though, even this seems pointless as there really are so few non-english speakers.

Perhaps because it's a game designed for an english audience? :P

#67438 by Nightsky Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:43 pm
TheCen wrote:

Saw enough recently... especially in low level systems where you see people asking "Spricht hier irgendjemand deutsch?" or "Habla espanol?"... You are not often enough in lowlevel systems to experience this Supreme. Especially i can tell about so many players talking German or Spanish only.

Having language chats would be great, so you can help players of a different language just perfect across the systems and it would amplify the popularity...

speaking of which, i should continue translating the game... lol

We have such a beautiful community.
#67450 by TheKrazyKangaroo Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:38 am
If you're cussing in another language that a person can't understand, it will not hurt the other person at all. It'd be like slapping yourself in the face and expecting another person to feel the pain.
I also believe I've suggested language chats before, I think I got chat banned for it (probably cause I was using other languages too to get non-english speakers to support me) :?

#67464 by TheCen Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:09 pm
TheSupreme wrote:Perhaps because it's a game designed for an english audience? :P

Then why are the developers asking players to translate the game for them? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Kassoblockje (spelling) has already translated the game in a number of languages and it appears that a few other players have as well. So, please tell me how it's still 'designed' for English only audience; when the developers are actively having others translate the game.

WARNING:
#67590 by Fulminis Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:40 am
Wait.. you can translate the game? thread or link pls? i'd like to help translate it to my language :D
#67592 by Nightsky Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:48 am
PM the devs. It's a ton of work, trust me. Most gave up already, including me.

We have such a beautiful community.
#67600 by Draconis Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:43 am
Only real solution to this is as others suggested, separate global chats for various languages, and leaving local chats as is. Not moderating chat and allowing chaos would just put in that ridiculous state where most people end up disabling global at all times(as evidenced in literally every game that doesn't moderate a global chat).