Ask and answer questions about AstroFlux.
#66098 by ElectromanJW Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:37 pm
How does one become a mod? I know you're not supposed to ask but what behavior is expected if you are to get an invitation to become one, and what are mods supposed to do, do they have other duties besides just enforcing rules. Do mods all have to be high levels?
#66100 by Nightsky Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 pm
If you don't know what a mod does and what they expect from you, then the mod-tag isn't for you.

As a mod you:
- Should guard the chat and forums from spamers and ragers.
- Stay friendly and helpful.
- Behave nice, don't break the rules.
- Stay impartial and do not go to side A or side B during a conflict.
- Solve conflicts without using a banhammer.
- Do not abuse the mod rights.

TO become a mod, you should:
- Stay friendly and do not get noticed negatively.
- Do not ask to be a mod as this more likely will reduce your chance of becoming one.
- See the moderator-tag as a responsibility for what happens in the game and not as fame-tag. That means, don't become a moderator because it's cool and you get powers, see it as a job for the game to help the developers and keep a positive atmosphere in the game.
- Help players with questions and other stuff in the game.
- Stay active.

Those are the main keys. Though, do not think that if you follow all those points that you will immediately become a moderator. Moderator is not just a tough job, but you also get viewed differently by players.

We have such a beautiful community.
#66104 by GrayBeard Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 pm
Nightsky put it pretty well, especially the view part.

Some people might think you are good for the job but, that doesn't mean the mod team will think you are good as well.

#66109 by I_Am_Jarvis Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 pm
GrayBeard wrote:Nightsky put it pretty well, especially the view part.

Some people might think you are good for the job but, that doesn't mean the mod team will think you are good as well.

I couldn't agree more.

Many a day, I go through mental debates:
Is there any exception to the 3-Ates?
"Tolerate, Compensate, Mediate."
Alas there is none, they are so great.
Perhaps you can try, but only your best.
For every time, these shall pass the test.
-E. Jarvis
#66139 by ElectromanJW Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:14 am
I know what a mod does I was just wondering if astroflux mods did other things besides monitoring chat, and I asked other questions like do all mods have to be high levels
#66146 by TheSupreme Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:50 pm
Nightsky wrote:If you don't know what a mod does and what they expect from you, then the mod-tag isn't for you.

WRONG. If you don't know something and you want to know more about it, seeking knowledge(which is what he is doing) is a great place to start. He didn't say he wanted to be one--What he did do though was ask some questions, which thankfully dmitry answered. :)

#66149 by Bellatrix Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:17 pm
I guess I will open Pandoras box and put it out there...

Mods can be pirates, kill and steal, as long as they follow the ToS there is no issue. So for a mod to be nice or friendly is not really important. I know some disagree, but this is not a question of agreeing or disagreeing, it is just how it is.

What is desired from a mod is the ability stay calm and take a step back and listen to what is said and analyze before you act. Many people try to take advantage of a mod in game, if it is to get access to sensitive information or to get someone else banned, it is always good to analyze your move before you do it.

Bellatrix, the shinning star of Astroflux
#66152 by Nightsky Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:29 pm
TheSupreme wrote:
Nightsky wrote:If you don't know what a mod does and what they expect from you, then the mod-tag isn't for you.

WRONG. If you don't know something and you want to know more about it, seeking knowledge(which is what he is doing) is a great place to start. He didn't say he wanted to be one--What he did do though was ask some questions, which thankfully dmitry answered. :)

Well, deleted a full wall of text of pure sarcasm and i just say: Yes, you are completely right. I didn't answer the questions, i simply posted something to say something and of course you ask for something if you aren't even interested into it.

Good job Dmitry for answering the questions because i simply was incapable of doing so! :)

Jesus, sometimes i ask myself if i should stop posting anything here or use my blacklist more often. Also, we should note that becoming a mod is nothing for weak nerves... i couldn't do it.

We have such a beautiful community.
#66168 by TheKrazyKangaroo Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:56 pm
Bellatrix wrote:Mods can be pirates, kill and steal, as long as they follow the ToS there is no issue. So for a mod to be nice or friendly is not really important. I know some disagree, but this is not a question of agreeing or disagreeing, it is just how it is.

What is desired from a mod is the ability stay calm and take a step back and listen to what is said and analyze before you act. Many people try to take advantage of a mod in game, if it is to get access to sensitive information or to get someone else banned, it is always good to analyze your move before you do it.

They can also break the ToS and there will still be no issue. Also, I don't think I know of many mods that will listen first. Many ban me, do not claim that they did it, block pm so I cannot respond if I see it as unfair and will sometimes just ignore or ban me again to keep me quiet. Some mods are friendly and although I might not agree with the ban at least they discuss it with me but the above has hapened to me a few times.

#66219 by Bellatrix Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:00 pm
Out of interest what ToS has been broken by what mod?

We have had several discussion internally between the mods and I dont know of any ToS issues that have been broken and not handled. No mod, that is a mod today, as far as I know, has broken any ToS...

#66223 by GrayBeard Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:25 pm
Correct me if i am wrong but last time i checked sharing accounts with other people is strictly against the rules

#66225 by BrianN Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 pm
Well, if Bella doesnt know about the history of Mods' behavior, maybe he should be more like the OP in being curious about the whole deal.

This brings up a good point, if the only two people you could convince to become mods dont know what you guys have a blatant history of doing, that shows that noone who is informed wants to join your ranks. Bella; you should read up on what these people have been up to.

I think the OP wasnt trying to become one (although the title certainly makes it look like he does); he just very inartfully made his point.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
#66237 by Bellatrix Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:55 pm
Briann I have spent this whole time to read up on the mod forum, I have now after 5 (?) weeks read all the posts back to year 2012...(15 pages+...) I wont read beyond that at this stage.

All the violations that have been done have had it's consequences, those who have been guilty of violating the ToS the devs have dealt with as they saw fit. Those mods who have caused damage to other players due to their "bad" behavior are no longer with us.

No mod that is acting as a mod today have done anything that would worsen your (or anyone else) chances to a fair game today.

That is why I have a hard time understanding this whole conflict, the mods that are in play today, do the best they can do to monitor chat/forum, report bugs and help out with what ever the devs ask us to do.

I really dont understand how any mod is inflicting your (or anyone else) game play negatively.

#66244 by GrayBeard Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:27 pm
You asked if a mod has ever broken the ToS i answered your question, i did not intend to reopen this useless discussion again. Fun fact is i just came home and opened the forums to post on how we should stop this discussion forever but Dimitry already took care of it which is great :D

#66247 by GrayBeard Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm
How does that count as sucking up to some one if there is nothing for me to gain ? Seriously i said the truth!