Ask and answer questions about AstroFlux.
#65121 by Bellatrix Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:26 am
Spaceman wrote:I just don't get it and I've been playing the game for years.

Well where do we start?

Pick a ship that has a high ammount of hp or shield and preferable some stats in damage/rof:

Some choices but not all:

Retro
BQ
Tanker
Vindi
Blade
Golden Heart

Decide your tactics, do you want snipe a player from a long distance? Run after them and kill them? Being chased and defend yourself? Choose weapons suitable for either task. Choose arts suitable for those weapons, choose et's based on your tactics.

If you feel that you are still to weak, change tactics/ship/weapons and if that wont work, farm for better arts.

You can be good in pvp with lvl 100 arts, but you are going to be even better if your arts are lvl 140+, and scale at which arts improve with lvl is not linear either.

Bellatrix, the shinning star of Astroflux
#65125 by Spaceman Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:57 am
Bellatrix wrote:
Spaceman wrote:I just don't get it and I've been playing the game for years.

Decide your tactics, do you want snipe a player from a long distance? Run after them and kill them? Being chased and defend yourself? Choose weapons suitable for either task. Choose arts suitable for those weapons, choose et's based on your tactics.

Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the advice.

#65162 by boogerrito Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:57 pm
In my opinion, Bellatrix has it kind of backwards.

I would create artifact setups with total stats you think are good, then find weapons that can take advantage of those stats, then find a ship that could suit your playstyle and setup.

Here's an example:
Suppose you have an artifact set with 75% all res, 400% energy, no increased attack speed, 400% armor, 400% shield, and 100% shield to health. For this set, it would be a good idea to have a couple weapons with high damage per hit to take advantage of the high % boost (beams, projectors, etc). However, then you'd have trouble fighting against shield builds which are good at tanking big hits. So, you'd need a weapon with high base rof, such as needles or photonic blaster, in order to fight shield builds. Next, choose which ship is suited to this build: what has high shield, high armor, an energy% bonus, and some base rof to supplement the poor rof from artifacts? Vindicator.

Another example:
Suppose your artifact set has 75% res, 300% kinetic, 100% rof, 350% health, and 100% health to shield. Because you have all that rof, there would be no reason to use weapons that are single shot beams. So, using something that benefits from high rof would be ideal: piercing gun, railgun, the golden heart weapons, and ram missiles are all weapons that could work. These weapons benefit most from a boost in kinetic%, so choose a ship with a good bonus for that, and relatively high health. Vanquisher is a good choice here.

In general, you will want weapons that, in no particular order:
1. Force Q
2. Beat Q
3. Beat shields
4. Beat health
5. Debuff

Some weapons can do all of that if one has the proper build and skill.

First step, though: Arts.

Those examples I gave you are really just examples. I don't claim that they're good builds; I just wanted to explain my building process.

Swole of Body
Swole of Spirit
Swole of Mind
How to PvP
#65210 by Jpsi Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:30 pm
Nicelly said by boogerrito. I also choose my damage type (kin/energy/corro, % or flat) depending on how strong by best set-up is with the strongest weapons of the category. So this choice will depends on the best weapons of the current meta, and on your arts.

I generally base my setup on one main weapon. The rest is there to complete what this weapon is lacking and/or make it more effective. I also chose my ship setup to emphasised this playstyle.

My example:
- In the past I used corro lightning, and the rest was just there to debuff regen/healing/armor/resist of the chosen weapon type. My ship was then armor based to sustain close range fire during multiple hard-shield (I needed to build up the dot).
- After that, I used pg : I focused on rof, with decent regen and tp capability (I used medic and judi afterward)
- I use now mainly phase for the kill. I need some good speed, and correct shield pool with some regen.

For those direct damage close range weapons, the use of long range was quite long optionnal for me: I just wanted to debuff (or heal myself), as the kill was made via the main weapon. Needles changed this a bit, because of its op-ness, but now I am back to normal: I just use smart-gun to debuff regen and finish an opponent.

Of course, when possible, using one close range and one long range weapons as main (so 2 main weapons) is better, but not always necessary.

Some small recommandations:

- Never use a debuff as elite tech for your main weapon. Example: if you want to use phase as main, don't use healing as elite tech ! You want the highest dps possible for your main weapon. Same for beamer: don't use armor debuff if you wnat to use it as a main weapon, use instead burn or something that will increase your dps. The debuff should be made with secondary weapons.

- Chose your rof/% energy in order to maxise the dps of your main weapon(s). So don't look at the dps of the other weapons, they are most of the time optionnal. Exception being if you main is already an instant kill, then you can emphasied more on the dps of your second best weapon (this was my case when using phase/needle before the last ballance update: I focused on my needles dps, as my phase was high enough)

- Don't use 3 or 4 weapons that just deal damage without adding something in your gameplay. I see too often players using multiple medium dps weapon and hoping for the best. This is sub-optimal: you don't (generally) need multiple weapons for the kill, you need to make your choice and adapt your gameplay to this choice (see previous point).

- If your main weapon is medium distance, tp as soon as the other get too close. If you use a long distance, you need some good debuff and to run. For close distance, don't let him escape and predict where he is going to go to tp as soon as he gets there.

If you have a good build, playing pvp just become a question of timing/piloting. Knowing when to q, when to run and when to attack is key. Practicing will get you there, if you chose a good pilot as opponent.

#65215 by boogerrito Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:08 pm
As an addendum to a point made by Jpsi:

DPS is not necessarily the best measure of a weapon's strength. For example, Aureus Beam can reach "Infinity" DPS, but, in practice, it is a single shot weapon. Maximizing DPS on this would not be optimal, as that would involve sacrificing energy% for rof.

Another example: Needles. These were always good against shields, but against health builds, damage per hit was more important than raw DPS. If someone had 10k armor, and your hits were doing 45k, this would be more effective than multiple, faster 20k hits. Of course, you'd have to do the math. It also depends on the defensive stats of your opponent.

Swole of Body
Swole of Spirit
Swole of Mind
How to PvP
#65216 by Jpsi Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:13 pm
boogerrito wrote:As an addendum to a point made by Jpsi:

DPS is not necessarily the best measure of a weapon's strength. For example, Aureus Beam can reach "Infinity" DPS, but, in practice, it is a single shot weapon. Maximizing DPS on this would not be optimal, as that would involve sacrificing energy% for rof.

Another example: Needles. These were always good against shields, but against health builds, damage per hit was more important than raw DPS. If someone had 10k armor, and your hits were doing 45k, this would be more effective than multiple, faster 20k hits. Of course, you'd have to do the math. It also depends on the defensive stats of your opponent.

Agree. I used the term dps in my explaination, but I should have used damage in general. For that reason I lowered (pre-update) my dps on phase and put lots of %energy for needles, even if adding more rof (and lowering my %energy) would have give me more dps.

#65373 by traf Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 am
brief interjection:

My building process was weapons-centric. I copied onto my EE weapons that i feared fighting against. Not just "sigh. that's an uninteresting tactic (stuff like beamer spam)", but feared because of how they worked. Enter chrono, the first weapon i copied. (Obviously i'm still a ranged guy)

So basically, we have 3 types of build philosophies:
Art-Centric
Weapon-Centric
Ship-Centric

Pick which one you like the best and find something scary to terrorize us with :D

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#65426 by Magic Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:31 pm
As another little point, Usually % damage can help with burst damage and % rof can usually help with more consistent damage. So If you have a noxium, putting % rof for your BFG would just be plain dumb hen you can get much more dmg when you use % damage. Awesome thread, many great explanations here.

Our determination is based on our will to survive.

Never.
Give.
Up.
#67063 by boogerrito Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:00 pm
TheShredder wrote:No matter how strong you are...you have to be skilled as well in order to become a good pvp'er
The key words are:
"Be unpredictable"

I like to think of PvPing in this game like it's a fighting game. There's a neutral, footsies, advantage states, map control, spacing, baiting, mindgames, and conversions. I've found that a lot of the theory in fighting games can be applied to 1v1 matches, and getting good at 1v1s leads to much better performance fighting against groups.

And like Shredder said,be unpredictable. I only ever win against him because I can eventually read his movements. Truly difficult opponents must be read in order for one to win against them.

Exceptionally easy players tend to move in patterns that are easily susceptible to teleport stomping with EF, for example. Or they try to Q through HF.

Swole of Body
Swole of Spirit
Swole of Mind
How to PvP