Official announcements for AstroFlux
#72070 by traf Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 pm
Hey guys!

For a couple hours today we will be testing a new ChatDaemon, a "cross-system group chat". I'll make a post when it goes offline.

How it works:
"/w ChatDaemon $add"
Adds you to the group.

"/w ChatDaemon $remove"
Removes you from the group.

"/w ChatDaemon $list"
Sends you a list of all current members of the group.

"/w ChatDaemon $ hey it's a group chat! cool!"
Sends the message "(your username): hey it's a group chat! cool!" to everyone in the group, including yourself so that you know it sent properly.

Remember, we are testing this! Testing!

As such, it will only be online for a couple of hours. All questions, comments, and concerns are welcome. Suggestions as to more ways that we could use this system would also be appreciated :)

Sincerely,
traf

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#72071 by Bellatrix Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 pm
Lets get this started, nice work Traf!

Bellatrix, the shining star of Astroflux
#72072 by RandomLucernian Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 pm
Nice work. A few suggestions:

• Remove the "$ " prefix needed for chatting. If there must be a prefix, change it to something that you don't need to use the shift key to type, like "\ ", "; ", or simply " "
  • If it's possible and doesn't create a security risk, bypass the 150 character limit so that long messages don't get cut off because of the leading "<name>: "
  • Document the $list command (which lists the people currently in the group) in the message you get when you add yourself to the group
#72073 by traf Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 pm
RandomLucernian wrote:Nice work. A few suggestions:

• Remove the "$ " prefix needed for chatting. If there must be a prefix, change it to something that you don't need to use the shift key to type, like "\ ", "; ", or simply " "
  • If it's possible and doesn't create a security risk, bypass the 150 character limit so that long messages don't get cut off because of the leading "<name>: "
  • Document the $list command (which lists the people currently in the group) in the message you get when you add yourself to the group

There needs to be a prefix of some kind.

Unfortunately, that's something the devs would have to implement. A user specific character limit sounds hard though.

I'll fix that after I take it offline later tonight.

I forgot to mention something:

Private message ChatDaemon with the following format to report an "evildoer" or to send screenies of when ChatDaemon wasn't online:
"/w ChatDaemon REPORT (problem report or link to screenies)"

Start your message with an all-caps REPORT and it'll get sent to a different system for us to inspect.

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#72078 by declan_winter Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:03 am
Awesome work Traf! You are deserving of 3 cheers and 21^2 cookies.

Show respect even to people who don't deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but a reflection of yours :)
#72082 by traf Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 am
ChatDaemon is now offline. (only 2 people were using it anyway at this point in the night :P)

― William Howard Taft
#72088 by traf Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm
ChatDaemon is back online!

Type "/w ChatDaemon $add" to join and "/w ChatDaemon $ samplemessage" to send messages through the relay.

It does remove you from the group if a message comes through while you're offline, so you'll have to use $add more than you did yesterday.

― William Howard Taft