Official announcements for AstroFlux
#63484 by traf Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 pm
since when is training crew required to explore planets? what am i missing? i explored everything before training was a thing :?

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#63485 by TheCen Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:23 pm
traf wrote:since when is training crew required to explore planets? what am i missing? i explored everything before training was a thing :?

And did you have crew members that couldn't explore certain territories? I sure did. Cause back when I explored planets (3 years ago) I didn't know there was a guide.

I guess this is about getting the most out of your crew isn't it? You want a crew that can explore planets and gain the most points as possible right? Or am I missing something?

Also, giving players a chance to upgrade arts is nice and all.. Until they level up and find better arts. This is going to happen to every new player from here on out. They find arts, they upgrade said arts for skill points, they find better arts, they upgrade those better arts, etc. What's the gain in this? Upgrading crap arts.. when they can "just level up" to get better arts. Until they reach the magic number of at least 5 skill points.. it's just going to be a waste of time.

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#63486 by Draconis Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:51 pm
So the update fixes the issue of high level players screwing up their crew, not by much but it does help a little. While at the same time leaving the initial problem sitting there waiting for new players to keep making it, and on top of that also making it harder and more confusing for them to figure out how to handle it. How intuitive is it for a new player to think "oh i can explore, but i dont meet the requirements... guess i need to upgrade these arts for the next two weeks to get my crew ready." even tho the game doesn't suggest this as a solution, and it's still a terribly slow and painful solution on top of that.

What's mind boggling about this update is the way they went about handling this. A quick search through the suggestions for words like "crew" and "training" shows a hefty handful of ideas ranging from decent to effing brilliant. Yet the devs chose this weird and not very well thought out idea to implement. What the flux is the point in suggestions when this is what they do, completely ignore them and go with the oddest thing that pops into their head instead.

One thing, a single tweak to this idea of theirs and it will work. Still don't like the idea but it works if they put manual training back on the table. Now low levels can handle it just the way everyone else has, and when they make a mistake then they can recover via art upgrades. Now put a hard cap on the max crew points to remove any confusion later down the road.

#63489 by Inverse Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm
best of both:

ps: 3hours for a 50 strength upgrade.
#63490 by NinjaKaleSplat Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:19 pm
Seriously, the rewards need to be strengthened.

Farewell, as the eld of Astroflux have fallen and the youth et the remnants of sanity. It was fun.
#63492 by Nightsky Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:49 pm
Generally, i think the devs did a mistake like many other games did before: They didn't offer a fluid way of progression. leveling up, upgrading artifacts and then exploring a few planets which just prevents you even further from achieving something in this game. i don't want to dig so deep into it but apparently the progression in this game (Crew, leveling, farming) should be more fluid especially when it comes to something like the current crew problem.

But i see no point in exploring planets anyways... in my opinion the rewards from planets where you explore for hours are too low if you ask me...

#63494 by traf Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 pm
alrighty, I have a steam alt that has never explored a planet, nor have they trained at all. I'll see if I get stuck someplace.

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#63499 by TheCen Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 pm
traf wrote:alrighty, I have a steam alt that has never explored a planet, nor have they trained at all. I'll see if I get stuck someplace.

I says.. wait I have a steam account as well! Go start exploring. Erath is a given. Go to Endarion next. Able to explore 1 territory just fine. Go to explore the next. I need 15 skill points in Diplomacy to reach the required 35.. but if you follow Dmat's guide all I really need is 29 points.. since I only have 2 crew members.

So.. just 9 skill points? Let me upgrade some arts...
5 min and 22 seconds with the crap arts I currently have.... just to get 1 skill point.
So.. I have to do this for 45 min in order to explore this one territory?
When.. in the old system.. was only a 10 min period of time to get 10 skill points.

Have you run into this yet, Traf?

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#63500 by SpecialK Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:16 pm
Why don't we just have the training button, AND the arts upgrade bonus?

Easy training at low levels. Useful (ie you're getting some other benefit) and shorter training at high levels.

TheCen wrote:The problem is that in order to explore planets you need to at least get some skill points on your crew. (Will you at least admit to that?) So.. in order to get your crew all the required points to start exploring correctly you need close to 200 points (depending on how you go about exploring planets) . (Have I lost you yet?) Now.. take a brand new player. How are they going to reach 200 skill points on each crew? Under this new system... it's going to take a lot longer to get those skill points.

The skill points are based on the strength of arts. So, new players level 1-20 are going to have to get their hands on higher strength arts in order to get MORE skill points. (are you still following?). Level 1 strength art is 5 minutes to upgrade and equals 1 skill point. Hmmm.. this sounds like it's going to take longer for NEW players.
Cen, at first I disagreed, because you no longer need 200 points (if you ever did) to start exploring as there's no downside if you end up 'short' - you now have high-level crew, not 500-500-500 but high, and you can train them by upgrading arts. But you have a good point with the 'wall' you can hit by needing that extra boost to hit the next planet, and having nothing to do but upgrade shoddy arts. From what I remember, most planets give more than enough skill points to get on to the next one, but this is when you're up and running, so to speak.
#63502 by Draconis Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:23 pm
^
Exactly what I said, put the training button back and it sort of fixes the whole issue.

The 200 points was a safety net, it actually originated with my method that had nothing to do with dmats. My method was 200 points in all stats and then start exploring, this was for skipping the guide entirely. People just took it out of context and twisted it into some weird advice.

Even if we get the training button back, it doesn't fix the problem of accidentally dismissing crew members does it? Most people are going to explore almost all planets before ever getting the 4th or 5th, some might even skip the 3rd crew. Which leaves you at end game having to upgrade arts with crap crew members to make up for a simple mistake, one the devs clearly encourage us to make as if they were some kind of sick fluxxers who want us to make serious mistakes that should have been easily avoidable.

From what I gather, early crew(low level arts) take roughly 5x longer to get the same points we got from manual training. Late crew(high level arts) give roughly 3x more than we got from manual training. So basically we're still in the exact same boat, we just got different oars with funny shaped handles to row with. Now designed for extra newbie confusion, but still get us where we're going at a snails pace. Oh and the boat is terribly designed still, allowing us to tip over at a moments notice(waste months and months of time, years to some people).

Still nobody willing to fire a crew, or hire a new one, and figure out exactly how long it takes to get to 500 all stats by upgrading arts alone? No brave souls out there?
Last edited by Draconis on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#63504 by troyboyny7 Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 pm
this could be helpful hope it is now for extremely long art upgrade time to be shortened
Tef wrote:Hi everyone,

We have some great news. For a long time crew training has been a pain for both new and old players, it was unforgiving and could easily make the player feel cheated, or give up on the entire crew. Therefore we have decided to remove crew training and replace it by giving out skill points during artefact upgrades instead.

The crew member will now gain 1-20 skill points depending on artefact strength.

This will hopefully speed up and make crew training more relevant.

Happy training!
#63506 by SpecialK Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 pm
Draconis wrote:^
Exactly what I said, put the training button back and it sort of fixes the whole issue.
Wow. I managed to read the whole thread and just miss that specific post. Ah yes, I got distracted by the rather confusing 0/500 picture below it from Inverse. :D
#63507 by Draconis Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 pm
SpecialK wrote:
Draconis wrote:^
Wow. I managed to read the whole thread and just miss that specific post. Ah yes, I got distracted by the rather confusing 0/500 picture below it from Inverse. :D

I tend to edit my posts immediately after submitting them, might have caught me mid edit.

#63508 by BrianN Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 am
Let's also take a look at what Tef said.
"The crew member will now gain 1-20 skill points depending on artefact strength."
This means the higher level you are the more points you will get.

Well, A) No, its based on the level of the arts and B) Its slower

We have 200+ artifacts we all keep. To max an artifact using flux it costs roughly 1.5K - 2.5K flux. One artifact! Arifacts we may never use again with future changes.

The system put in place today pretty much scales with your level and allows users to upgrade their artifacts and gain points where as before they could not upgrade until they had a maxed crew.

@Supreme. What level art is that? I thinking it's way over level 50. Which just proves you aren't seeing what anyone is saying on this forum. This update is great for well established players. IF you aren't established or new... it's baaaad.

ps: just amazing how thesupreme literally ignores key parts in some posts and still talks about the same 100+ level player stuff...

This is all about TPTB having no idea what life is like for the 99%...D&D have completely forgotten what its like to actually play the game. They are either such vets that the system was vastly different from when they started; or their gameplay experience (flux driven) is so unlike everyone else's.

What's mind boggling about this update is the way they went about handling this. A quick search through the suggestions for words like "crew" and "training" shows a hefty handful of ideas ranging from decent to effing brilliant. Yet the devs chose this weird and not very well thought out idea to implement.

This is what really gets me about this game...we put out suggestions about changes, and when the devs come in to change something instead of using a knife they use a nuke. This is like the fed alts artifact change...the only place where it was causing problems was in Dom/DM...instead they screw with EVERYONE's gameplay. Some insight into the decision making process would be nice.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke