Official announcements for AstroFlux
#63517 by da_wakka Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:45 am
I hope the change is reverted, or something else is implemented; I've seen a lot of great suggestions by the community. It seems the change was made to improve the game experience for high level players. As a new player (level 30), after logging into the game today to find out training was removed... I feel defeated. Sure, clicking a "train" button every 12 minutes was not the most fun thing to do, but at least I was seeing progress with my crew. I've now lost interest in exploring planets. Not only is it pointless to upgrade my art that is most likely going to be replaced tomorrow, but the rate of obtaining skill points, at least for new players, feels broken.

Edit: I also liked the ability to be able to train the crew from anywhere, whether I was out doing missions or between short breaks while attempting to clear a difficult planet. Now I have to abandon what I was doing to find a safe spot in order to upgrade a crappy art. It's much more tedious, which further makes the rate feel broken.
#63521 by King_Simon Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:22 am
The developers have done their best improving this game. Complaining after every update designed to help us is selfish. How do you think Tef is feeling right now? Working hard to fix problems, then blamed for making things worse. Personally, I love this change, it removes the dilemma of whether to upgrade artifacts or train crew. For the benefit of low level players however, I would suggest having crew training in addition to this new system.

Edits:
P.S. I noticed many like Draconis have the same idea
P.S.S. Still, we should not be blaming the devs for trying to solve problems.

If you are expecting something cool here, too bad.
#63537 by Draconis Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:37 am
King_Simon wrote:The developers have done their best improving this game. Complaining after every update designed to help us is selfish. How do you think Tef is feeling right now? Working hard to fix problems, then blamed for making things worse. Personally, I love this change, it removes the dilemma of whether to upgrade artifacts or train crew. For the benefit of low level players however, I would suggest having crew training in addition to this new system.

Edits:
P.S. I noticed many like Draconis have the same idea
P.S.S. Still, we should not be blaming the devs for trying to solve problems.

Yeah maybe I came off a bit harsh, it's the frustration of seeing so many things go sideways so quickly. Maybe the devs are also feeling that as well, if they are then maybe they will pause for a moment and think about what's going wrong with the recent plans. So far they are not listening to either logic or reason it seems. Some argue that "this is their game" and they can do what they feel like. While that is true to some extent, but this is also their product and "our" game. Which means unless they want to play this themselves and see us walk away then they might want to listen at least a little.

They are making heavy changes that seem to be hurting rather than helping. This is not one of those changes per se, it does hurt a little but not to the extent some of the others have. This change needs one thing, to put the manual training button back. If that's not what the devs want, then they should do it anyways and then rethink how they want crew progression to be designed and handle that in a more polished way. Currently it's been butchered, as has been the "proposed" balance update. Our suggestions and input seem to mean piss all, and we are feeling it like a knife in the back after supporting this game for years.

This is the last bit of input that I have for this particular update, if you want my suggestion on how to fix crew training... then search the suggestions forum for it.

#63539 by Jesright73 Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 am
i see that another change was instated along side the crew training change.

Chat is now only visible when you are in control of your ship. it disappears while any window or dialogue is open.

While i see the benefit of missions, arts, and ships stats not being obscured by chat, we can no longer communicate freely.

Would it be possible to place chat in a place where it can be displayed at all times, yet still be out of the way?
#63544 by traf Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 am
you also lose chat when you die . . . and it doesn't come back automatically.

TheCen wrote:I says.. wait I have a steam account as well! Go start exploring. Erath is a given. Go to Endarion next. Able to explore 1 territory just fine. Go to explore the next. I need 15 skill points in Diplomacy to reach the required 35.. but if you follow Dmat's guide all I really need is 29 points.. since I only have 2 crew members.

So.. just 9 skill points? Let me upgrade some arts...
5 min and 22 seconds with the crap arts I currently have.... just to get 1 skill point.
So.. I have to do this for 45 min in order to explore this one territory?
When.. in the old system.. was only a 10 min period of time to get 10 skill points.

Have you run into this yet, Traf?

with regards to my brand spanking new alt, i have done no training on it, have bought no crew, and still am not stuck. I have placed all points gained immediately upon receiving them (no banking to help maximize point profits). I'm also placing the points evenly, so my crew is something like 40-40-40 right now. I only have 2 members (so longsuffering, they are).

I'm in durian, still exploring.

No . . . i never ran into that. i wonder what we're doing different? I just plowed through. If they fail, patch em up and send them back (unless there's something easier they could do). I'm doing my best to simulate how I would have explored three years ago: Haphazardly.

I have an open door policy. Please feel free to private message me!

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#63582 by TheCen Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:55 pm
traf wrote:i wonder what we're doing different?

The difference was... I only had 2 crew members and I was spending initially to get the crew to at least 20/20/20 to unlock all the special skills. And with the way starting crew are given to players it's usually something along these lines of point disbursement: 30/10/10 on any given skill ~ Combat, Diplomacy, Survival. After I got my crew to at least 20 in each skill I started on Cold (Special Skill), because that is most likely the first skill they are going to need. The second territory on Enderion needed a crew with Diplomacy of 35. Both of my crew members were Combat and Survival. In order for me to explore there I would have needed 9 points (according to dmats guide). That's where I ran into the first problem. If I went and bought a crew that had Diplomacy that would have sufficed.

I was sending all my crew to each territory. Which, in hindsight is something that new players wouldn't know to do that. So, the points would have been only awarded to 1 crew member.

The way you were going sounded like you weren't even taking into account the special skills. So, at some point you were going to run into a territory that requires one and hit the wall.

Anyway: They patched this problem. But, it still brings to light some facts about new players. They are not going to know to send all their crew on each mission and they are not going to know how to unlock the special skills, unless they read up on the subject in the forums/wiki.

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#63591 by TheSame Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:09 pm
Tef wrote:Hi everyone,

We have some great news. For a long time crew training has been a pain for both new and old players, it was unforgiving and could easily make the player feel cheated, or give up on the entire crew. Therefore we have decided to remove crew training and replace it by giving out skill points during artefact upgrades instead.

The crew member will now gain 1-20 skill points depending on artefact strength.

This will hopefully speed up and make crew training more relevant.

Is it 'artefact' or artifact? :P

Happy training!

TheDepraved
#63596 by traf Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:43 pm
well, there is a pop up box that says "sending more crew members increases the odds for success" so I went for it.

with respect to the skills, I completely ignored them until I saw a planet that needed them. why upgrade something that I don't see a need for? This decision was as close as I could manage to what I would have decided 3 years ago.

and when I saw my first "cold" area, there were plenty of regular areas left for me to adapt to the need.

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#63599 by TheCen Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:31 pm
traf wrote:well, there is a pop up box that says "sending more crew members increases the odds for success" so I went for it.

with respect to the skills, I completely ignored them until I saw a planet that needed them. why upgrade something that I don't see a need for? This decision was as close as I could manage to what I would have decided 3 years ago.

and when I saw my first "cold" area, there were plenty of regular areas left for me to adapt to the need.

So your crew has all 3 skills evenly distributed right away (Combat, Diplomacy, Survival)? Even if I hadn't of applied anything to Cold.. I would have still had to train my crew at least 4 times in order to meet the requirements of the explore. I'm wondering how diverse the point spread is on new accounts as far as brand new crew. Not that it really matters anymore. But, it is kind of strange that even after just exploring Erath and then going to Enderion I couldn't even explore the second territory there cause I didn't have the Diplomacy points.

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#63601 by traf Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 pm
did you attempt the diplomacy area or move on to the other elite planet to get more points? I send my crew at zones that say "poor" chance of success. They may die twice going through a zone, but the points you get mid-explore are enough to carry you through.

and yeah, my crew is pretty even. it took them until like mid-durian to be actually even though. I don't bother with trying to clear all planets in a system before going to the next system. if I can't beat a zone, move to the next one and come back later.

― William Howard Taft
#63604 by TheCen Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm
traf wrote:did you attempt the diplomacy area or move on to the other elite planet to get more points? I send my crew at zones that say "poor" chance of success. They may die twice going through a zone, but the points you get mid-explore are enough to carry you through.

and yeah, my crew is pretty even. it took them until like mid-durian to be actually even though. I don't bother with trying to clear all planets in a system before going to the next system. if I can't beat a zone, move to the next one and come back later.

I sent the crew on that mission and got zero points in return and it injured both crew members. And no.. I didn't move onto another planet. Level 4 Alt. Not, going to attempt to head to the elite zone with it.

WARNING:
#63605 by traf Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm
well, that's another difference. since I got help with landing on planets when I was little, I "got help" to land on the elite planets. actually, I didn't even have to use my main to land on Mari, there was a level 30 with an orbiter (a level 30 :roll:)who led a team . . . I just followed. (why pod only ships aren't buy able I'll never know . . . and if I ever do know I probably won't like the reason :lol:)

― William Howard Taft
#71299 by doginh Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Now we have another issue all of my crew are well trained and over 1500+ in each of stats

in my expectations that high stats have to affect arts upgrade success rate, but it works same way when it was 300+

I suggest :

1. devs to increase arts upgrade success rate after 800+
2. crew stats to grow randomly, and auto assigned user do not have to click that (+) 120 times to increase stats and I do not do that, it is f... boring also reduce the number of rewards for trained(800+) crew 20 that's a lot a specially when no usage for that extra points
#71302 by BrianN Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:52 pm
No, the simple implementation of the glut of skill points was stupid in the first place.

The truth always lies between the two ends of an argument.