For AstroFlux related discussion
#74561 by Nightsky Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm
Yesterday I was indirectly asked a question: Why are you so pessimistic?
And this is a good question. And I have a good answer for that: This game isn't giving me enough reasons to stay optimistic about it. Because let's be honest here, this game has been around since 2012. It had it's peak in 2015/2016 - And after that it just went downhill. 2015, December the 23 was the last major update which introduced Vorsran. This particular update was responsible for this peak in players. But as I said, after that it just continued to go downhill. And why? Because the devs suddenly went inactive. The reason? Apparently they are busy with their life. And honestly I believe that. But I don't believe that the developers have no time at all to continue working on their game.

In December this year we will actually reach two years of having no major update. We have Argon and Ulgor imminent, we have them leaked in the sector chart. But well, the better question is: How far are they? It's slowly giving me the impression that the developers are not working on their game anymore. It would be a shame. Of course they may lose the interest in their game, I wouldn't blame them. I also tend to lose my passion rather quickly. But a proper announcement would be better than some empty words.

You know, and this particular reason is giving me no choice but staying pessimistic about this game. Don't get me wrong, I like this game. It has filled a bunch of years with joy... and well, also disappointment. And I'm sure it's not just me who is pessimistic, I'm 100% sure there are more people who are pessimistic towards Astroflux. And I guess the reasons don't differ that much. And it's great if there are still some people with hopes. But you should also understand the other side of the community.

Let me say this: It's a great game. it's an awesome concept. We even have it as a functional game. The only thing missing here is the progress on it. If this would be there, this game would be perfect. But the progress part is missing. Argon and Ulgur could have been released already. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware since the release of the game till 2014 the developers released 9 systems. Now it takes them a year to release a single one. Why?

What do you think?

Image
We have such a beautiful community.
#74569 by Dmitry Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm
Well, with new systems that have increasing complexity, size and new mechanics, it makes sense that it would take longer. Not this long, but that is another matter. I think most of the disappointment with this game is because it looks like wasted potential. It appears that the game grew beyond the point where the creators could scale with it. And that is just a shame if true, but I am really hoping that the next update proves us wrong.
#74577 by Draconis Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 am
My projection for how long it takes a player to farm 100 million steel was not far off from the truth, anyone capable of doing that in less than 6 months has a hell of a lot of free time... I know i do, but most people don't. 100 million is barely enough to fund 3 ships, oh and you're only capable of making it that quickly AFTER you already have 20 million. This process also consumes every ounce of play time you have. Which let's not forget you need arts to farm that steel in the first place.

So yeah, devs need a long hard look at the economy and to see what the average person can reasonably do with 15hrs a week. Flying in circles for 2hrs a day isn't my idea of playing... may as well be an idle game at that point.

I'd bet money that this is the single biggest issue with our lack of player retention.

#74578 by Jpsi Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm
Well, I am mainly pessimistic about the pvp aspect: the hour of arts farming requiered to have a fair chance to compete with veteran player is ridiculous. It takes months of intense farming and quite some luck to get anything usefull. And you even need good arts at the beginning to start farming decent spots.

When the art level difference between 2 players is too huge, it's no fun for neither of them and there is very little incencitive of playing the game.

I particulary hate auto-aim weapons like particule gun or plankton siphon gland : as soon as you have much better arts than the oponents, there is very little they can do, which should make the game quite boring/frustrating to them. At least with powerfull close range weapons one take the risk to get killed in return (because being at close range).

#74584 by JudgeJudi Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am
Draconis wrote:So yeah, devs need a long hard look at the economy and to see what the average person can reasonably do with 15hrs a week. Flying in circles for 2hrs a day isn't my idea of playing... may as well be an idle game at that point.

I'd bet money that this is the single biggest issue with our lack of player retention.


Agreed. I've collected enough to fund ~2 ships with playing on and off for a few years, but if I had the choice, I don't know if I'd do it over again.

Jpsi wrote:Well, I am mainly pessimistic about the pvp aspect: the hour of arts farming requiered to have a fair chance to compete with veteran player is ridiculous. It takes months of intense farming and quite some luck to get anything usefull. And you even need good arts at the beginning to start farming decent spots.

When the art level difference between 2 players is too huge, it's no fun for neither of them and there is very little incencitive of playing the game.


This is the main reason I don't even bother with PvP - I simply don't have the time. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a heck of a lot of fun, but after thousands of hostile Zhersis arts and only 2-3 keepers (all of which lean towards PvE uses), there are simply far better ways for me to use my evenings. I might try getting back into it once I hit the level cap, but until then, I'll just stick to casual flying for an hour here and there every few days or so.
#74588 by hugojmaia Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 am
PvP seems to be the point that makes a lot of people upset.
The current system is flawed, the level based bracket system is woefully ineffective, no matter how many time we try to set the brackets there, it'll never work.
Best way I can think of making PvP more fair is to use Jpsi's art power formula to determine which bracket people would go into, with the ship they're using being counted as a 6th art. Maybe add in the number of ET's above 50 a player has. This way the newcomers would never be matched against some of the top tier pilots unless they got enough art power to reach the same bracket.
#74593 by Jpsi Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm
hugojmaia wrote:PvP seems to be the point that makes a lot of people upset.
The current system is flawed, the level based bracket system is woefully ineffective, no matter how many time we try to set the brackets there, it'll never work.
Best way I can think of making PvP more fair is to use Jpsi's art power formula to determine which bracket people would go into, with the ship they're using being counted as a 6th art. Maybe add in the number of ET's above 50 a player has. This way the newcomers would never be matched against some of the top tier pilots unless they got enough art power to reach the same bracket.

Or we give a fair base of good arts that players can farm using pvp reward, to avoid relying only on luck. I am thinking of an artifact shop, like described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12368#p73638

I should make a new suggestion thread about this idea, to make it more visible. I really think this will mostly solve our pvp problem.

#74594 by Nightsky Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 pm
PvP is something I haven't participated in since a year or so, because for me there is no point doing so. I go inside as cannon fodder, nothing else. Draconis and Jpsi, you both couldn't have pointed that out any better.

@Draconis
I haven't really spent much time farming for steel. I do it occasionally and get 1 million more steel or so. But after I'm done with that, I'm also done with my nerves, because it's the same procedure over and over again. Which leaves me with a low amount of steel right now.

Back then I was happy to run around with 800.000 steel. It was enough to max out my ship. That was before ET was a thing. Now I'm running around with almost x15 of that amount and basically sit at the same state, if not less considering that ET is a very costy thing.

I'm not sure who suggested it, but I saw a suggestion about giving every ship it's own resource pool. Like, collecting 8 million steel and using it across all your ships. That is a suggestion that I really welcome. And I would love to see that.

@Jpsi
I really think that Artifacts have a too big of an impact on almost everything in the game. That is my own opinion though. It is painful to see such a huge strength difference between two same leveled guys where one just spent much more time farming for superior artifacts.

This of course ruins PvP balance. Sure, it is balanced for those who can wreck everything. But those who cannot farm all that much should be taken into consideration as well. I like your idea with purchasing Artifacts. They shouldn't be too powerful. They should just fix the gap between players.

Image
We have such a beautiful community.
#74596 by mt10kardans Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 pm
If you will spent more time with derp boys and their fans you will learn mad skill and kill everyone next weak with just crapy alts. Skill is all about in this game. Those who not skilled enaugh to use EF, HF need to farm half year to use auto aim and hope for lucky kill. So its not all about arts. You can spent 30 mins in art farm or 30 mins in skill learn with equal outcome. Even if you have OP arts you wont do anything against skilled pilot with crapy arts. Skilled pilots can run only 3 arts and win against those who farm op arts for months
#74603 by Martin E Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 am
I think I fall into the pessimism end of the AF rainbow, I have enjoyed a lot about this game but at the moment I seem to have hit a plateau and so has the game. I pop in long enough to do some pods , (sometimes even the dreaded 3rd pod via the pvp mission,? (ty for your enthusiasm eric), chat with a few folks and it is cheaper than feeding pounds into video arcades (do they still exist?).
Just a suggestion , a god mode button that gives super damage and protection for an hour once a week, no xp, no arts, no farming just the sheer joy of blowing things up.
#74605 by Draconis Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am
God mode couldn't work like that, people have 50 alts and could spam them back to back trolling people. Aww you wanted to farm zhersis today? Nope, I'll be here on my alts allllll day.

Maybe if it only applies to clan instance, and the benefit being able to do timed missions super fast.

#74606 by Jpsi Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:27 pm
mt10kardans wrote:If you will spent more time with derp boys and their fans you will learn mad skill and kill everyone next weak with just crapy alts. Skill is all about in this game. Those who not skilled enaugh to use EF, HF need to farm half year to use auto aim and hope for lucky kill. So its not all about arts. You can spent 30 mins in art farm or 30 mins in skill learn with equal outcome. Even if you have OP arts you wont do anything against skilled pilot with crapy arts. Skilled pilots can run only 3 arts and win against those who farm op arts for months


:lol: :lol:

Aslo, fun fact: after 1.5 years of daily pods (since the pods were introduced, really) and around 4.5k flux spends as extra pods, still no HF. No matter, I still manage to score a few kills now and then - only with my assassin - and only from the shadow - so I'm ok with that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

About

Welcome to the AstroFlux forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can ask questions and receive helpful information from experienced players. Please Join the discussions in the Astroflux forums. The game developers are active here and are happy to hear what you think!

AstroFlux is a MMO space shooter with numerous weapons, upgrades and abilities. Explore the galaxy and collect space junk to gain resources for new technologies.