For AstroFlux related discussion
#73817 by Splat2012 Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 pm
So, as I've been back in Astroflux of late, one thing has been in mind: How feasible is it to get to the integer limit with the coordinates, and what would happen if one does reach it?

My Prediction: The system would crash, and everyone disconnects.

Phase I
First, we would need to acquire the time needed to get to said coordinates.

Question: Which system has the least amount of distance between coordinate integers?
Why: This would show us which systems would be the easiest to travel.
How: This would be done with tests based on time and distance. Throughout every system, calculations would be needed to see which system takes the least amount of distance to travel x amount of coordinates. This system will be used for actually travelling the system. There should be multiple tests upon multiple tests for accuracy.

Result: Mitrilion has the lowest amount of pixels in between coordinate points. This was tested via teleport by BayD3. Mitrilion had the highest score of 198 in a single teleport, Sarkinon had the lowest at 43.

Phase II
We need to find the players that can go as fast as possible.

Question: Who can go the fastest that is able to participate?
Why: This would minimize time needed to get to the integer limit.
How: Multiple tests would be needed for this, to see who has the highest average speed. This would mean less time needed, meaning it could be possible to reach the distance in a reasonable amount of time.

Phase III
Next, we would need to figure the time it would take to reach said number on the coordinates.

Question: How long would it take to get to the integer limit?
Why: This would allow us to prepare how long this journey would be.
How: We would have to calculate the amount of time by putting the average time for the system with the smallest distance between coordinate points. This would determine how much time we would need to get to said number.

Phase IV
Finally, we would travel the distance, if the average time needed is reasonable enough.

Question: Is it even remotely possible to travel this distance? If yes, go through with how.
Why: We could see what would happen if we hit the limit.
How: Fly within the system that has the fewest pixels between coordinates. This should be done if it is a reasonable amount of time (< or = to 2 days) in shifts.

Result: Turns out RandomLucernian decided to fly to the limit. It turns out the game breaks when the limit is reached, wrapping around and able to go to positive intlimit and negative intlimit. The coordinates in Fulzar were +/-536871 for the boundary.

So here's the question... Anyone wanna participate? :)

EDITED 1 TIME: 6:33 PM 9/24/17 CDT
EDITED 2 TIMES: 11:31 PM 9/24/17 CDT
Last edited by Splat2012 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balance won't happen. Forget trying to balance the game, BE BROKEN! Also, when the mods don't look into trolling, which certain player is guilty of, the moderation system is just poor.
#73819 by traf Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 am
the question everyone wants to know:

what's the integer limit?

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#73821 by bolbi Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 am
no my question is why you want to get to Azuron so badly? You want to know that badly where TheDapraved come from?

" 'Whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them.'
(International Standard Version, Luke 6.31)"
#73833 by hugojmaia Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm
The integer limit is most likely 2^32, and you halve that, cause we're talking about positive and negative values here. That gives you roughtly 2 billion to the positive and another 2 billion for the negative.
This sounds a lot like reaching the farlands in minecraft.
You're welcome to try, hopefully you'll make it there by 2020 if you start now.

Most likely result: you'll wrap around and come out the other side proving the system loops on itself.

Now if for some odd reason astroflux uses a 64 bit integer then you can forget it, It's not getting done before the sun engulfs earth.
#73841 by traf Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 pm
I was there, and I took video :D

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#73844 by GuestNINJAS Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 pm
Integer is 2.147.483.647?

If this is right, it means my memory is amazing..

Sad fact : I was quite often in-game.. Making dramas, showing up in chat a lot! Laughing.. raging... pvp'ing..

Yet almost no one remembers who I was. Pay respects. Press F.

Go to the Astroflux discord befoee this forum and the game gets deleted.
#73845 by RandomLucernian Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Yes, I made it to the limit. It was around coordinate 536800 in Fulzar, and it took ~5 hours of flying in explorer with the engine boost glitch on to get there. Things acted very weirdly on the negative side of the border; you could barely move around, and shots were often displaced.

#73846 by Splat2012 Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 pm
I've updated the wiki on Fulzar, regarding the borders. People should go to other systems and find these limits, so we can calculate how many pixels are in every co-ordinate.

Fulzar's coordinates are about 4000 pixels apart.

Balance won't happen. Forget trying to balance the game, BE BROKEN! Also, when the mods don't look into trolling, which certain player is guilty of, the moderation system is just poor.
#73882 by TheSupreme Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 pm
The game uses a double to handle positions.

1.7E +/- 308 (15 digits)

Discord ID
TheSupreme#4703
#73884 by DevNull Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm
No.

I dont have many friends, I just know alot of people
#73886 by traf Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 pm
DevNull wrote:No.

Care to expound?

― William Howard Taft
#73931 by DevNull Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 pm
traf wrote:

Care to expound?

No

I dont have many friends, I just know alot of people
#73932 by traf Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 pm
DevNull wrote:
traf wrote:

Care to expound?

No

So what are you No-ing? I No that you No No what your No No-ing means.

― William Howard Taft
#75877 by WishingStar Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:38 am
Splat2012 wrote:Question: Which system has the least amount of distance between coordinate integers?
Why: This would show us which systems would be the easiest to travel.
[...]
Result: Mitrilion has the lowest amount of pixels in between coordinate points. This was tested via teleport by BayD3. Mitrilion had the highest score of 198 in a single teleport, Sarkinon had the lowest at 43.

Just wanted to add two things:
  1. Technically, Venturi actually has much less (the least, I suspect, though possibly tied with Neurona/Cynapsian) distance between map coordinates than Mitrilion.
  2. Since it wasn't explicitly stated: The scale (i.e. distance between map coordinates) of a system doesn't actually matter; the limit is in pixel coordinates (i.e. absolute distance). Map coordinates themselves might theoretically be limited too, but it doesn't matter since even if they were, you'd hit the pixel coordinate limit long before the theoretical map coordinate limit (thereby preventing your map coordinates from getting any higher/lower).

Also, I assume you were using range ET on vindicator teleport when you measured the coordinates per teleport? I only got 142 coordinates per teleport in Mitrilion with vindicator teleport, but mine has speed ET on it.
#75887 by NinjaKaleSplat Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:50 pm
WishingStar wrote:
  1. Technically, Venturi actually has much less (the least, I suspect, though possibly tied with Neurona/Cynapsian) distance between map coordinates than Mitrilion.
  2. Since it wasn't explicitly stated: The scale (i.e. distance between map coordinates) of a system doesn't actually matter; the limit is in pixel coordinates (i.e. absolute distance). Map coordinates themselves might theoretically be limited too, but it doesn't matter since even if they were, you'd hit the pixel coordinate limit long before the theoretical map coordinate limit (thereby preventing your map coordinates from getting any higher/lower).

1 - This was posted before the deathline exploit was widely known. Yes, I do believe the 3 deathline systems are the smallest px:coordinate ratio, though no one has tried Co-Op.

2 - Kind of forgot to explain that if I didn't beforehand. :lol:

Do not make yourself the protagonist, or it will seem everyone else is the antagonist. I learned that the hard way.