Suggestions for features or improvements
#555 by AgentBunni Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm
As Magnus has announced, a mission system has already been created. All that is left, then, is to add missions.

Before I get too far, please keep in mind that the developers have every right to change parts of your mission idea or simply use this thread as a place to spark their own imaginations. Don't be upset if your ideas are not used or get changed.

So then...post your missions or mission ideas here! If you wish to comment on someone else's suggestion, your post had better have a suggestion as well. Posts that do not contain suggestions will be deleted.

Some guidelines:
There are two types of suggestions you can post here--mission stories and mission tasks. If you have a mission idea/suggestion that isn't a task or story, make a new thread for it.
--Mission tasks--
• These are things that players will do to complete portions of a mission
• Examples: kill x number of x enemies, pickup x from x station in x system and deliver to x station in x system, find ancient artifact that was stolen by x at planet x in x system and bring it to the nearest x station, kill x boss, etc
• Remember, these are ideas for tasks players must accomplish during missions. When you make a suggestion of this type, you are adding variety to the missions, not adding to the missions themselves. Please do not repeat someone else's idea.
Mission type posts that have already been suggested will be deleted
• Mission task suggestions will be collected and added to the list below.

--Mission stories--
• This is a series of short missions that follow a basic storyline. I'd like to leave it relatively open-ended so I don't intrude on your creativity. Just don't make it impossible or excessively long.
• Use the mission type list to kick start your imagination. If you use a mission type in your story that is not on the list, please label it, mark it, and make it easily visible within your post.
• Again, I will delete stories that are too similar. EXCEPTION: Main story quest ideas. These had better be really REALLY good because it's the main story. Please be sure to label main story ideas.

-=Mission type list=-
1. Kill <number> of <enemy>
2. Pickup <widget> from <station> in <system> and deliver to <station> in <system>
3. Find <widget> by killing <enemy> at <planet/system> and bring it to <station>
4. Kill <boss>
5. Bring <resources> to <planet>
6. Other
#618 by Djrulz Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 pm
So you want something like....

Mission-Crash Landing
Difficulty-very easy
Area-Earth
Story line-Their ship has crashed and they need materials to repair it.
Objective-Bring 25 scrap metal to Earth
Reward-250 steel

Would this be a good example?

Lawl look at my ship in my avatar....took like 2 minutes in gimp
#620 by NightRage Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 pm
Djrulz wrote:So you want something like....

Mission-Crash Landing
Difficulty-very easy
Area-Earth
Story line-Their ship has crashed and they need materials to repair it.
Objective-Bring 25 scrap metal to Earth
Reward-250 steel

Would this be a good example?

Yes that is fine :)

BUNNI EDIT: didn't want to clutter up the thread with any more non-mission comments, so I'm gonna borrow your post...
That is a great example of a mission task! I added a generic version to the list.
I'm going to try to put together an example of what I mean by a mission story. I'm glad you posted such a great example of a mission task. Saves me a lot of work :3
#628 by AgentBunni Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:54 am
I'm not entirely sure how the developers have designed the mission system, so I'm including a whole lot of possibly extraneous information. However, this is the basic format I'm thinking of when I talk about mission stories.

Start: Warp Gate (Durian)
Mission Intro:
(ARAT Headquarters) Greetings, <username>! ARAT (Astroflux Research and Technology) is in need of your help! A massive wave of radiation hit the outpost in Durian two astronomical days ago. Our top scientists have been conducting research expeditions around the clock. Our sensors indicate the majority of the radiation hit Ronduria. Please take a team of scientists there to do some on-site research.
Task: Land on Ronduria

Part 1: Samples
(Research Team) Research team to <username>. We ran some tests on the planet surface, and the radiation is certainly there, but our instruments cannot determine the type of radiation, much less the source. We have prepared a sample to be sent back to the headquarters for further tests. Please deliver it to the warp gate.
Task: Deliver sample to warp gate

Part 2: Supplies
(ARAT Headquarters) We are nearly done conducting our tests on the sample you delivered. However, we are running low on supplies. I'm sure the aliens around here won't mind if we borrowed some of theirs.
Task: Gather ___ resources and return to warp gate

Part 3: Investigation
(ARAT Headquarters) We received an emergency signal from the research team you dropped off on Ronduria. Please investigate their situation. Hurry!
Task: Land on Ronduria

Part 4: Missing Scientists
(<username>) <username> to Headquarters. Arrived at Ronduria and found the research camp. The equipment is all here, but the researchers have vanished. Tracks surrounding the camp suggest they were captured.
(ARAT Headquarters) The distress signal was activated not long ago. They can't be far off. Conduct a search of the system. Use force if necessary.
Task: Search the alien spawners in the system for the researchers, drop them off at the warp gate

Part 5: Who are they?
(ARAT Headquarters) Those aliens are not from this system. We need to know who they are and why they attacked the researchers. Gather some data from the invaders and we'll try to sort this out before any more harm is done.
Task: Kill 50 aliens

Part 6: Observation Facility
(ARAT Headquarters) The data you retrieved contained programmed instructions. We backtraced the aliens to a location just beyond the outer orbit in Arrenius, but it is what their ships were programmed to do that has caught our attention. These ships were on their way to Herion to build an observation facility of massive proportions, but for what purpose? We need you to go find out what is going on.
Task: Land on Herion

Part 7: Sinister Scheme
(<username>) <username> to Headquarters. We have a problem. It appears the aliens are planning to test a new weapon they have created and use the observation facility to gather data. The test? They plan on blowing up the sun.
(ARAT Headquarters) It appears the test has already begun. A large object just appeared on our radar, and it is approaching rapidly. We cannot allow them to follow through!
Task: Destroy the Dominator

Mission Conclusion:
That was close! Unfortunately, I don't think this is over yet. Whoever initiated that test is not done with us yet. Stay alert. We'll get to the bottom of this yet!
To Be Continued...
#1773 by AgentBunni Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm
I was thinking about the mission system in AF and comparing it to missions in other mmo games. Usually, players in mmo's have to go to an NPC (non player character) to receive their missions. Here, of course, headquarters simply use a high-tech email system to assign players to missions. However, if a random person who has no access to a ship needs something done...

Favors-random encounter missions that appear upon landing. An NPC asks the player to do him/her a favor, offering a resource/reputation reward (no experience because they aren't "official" missions from HQ). These missions can be fairly similar to normal timed missions like deliveries and hunts, but would increase in difficulty based on the planet/system level. For example, the player could be asked to deliver a message to another planet, then sent back with a response.
Something that could be included here is faction-based missions (police/pirate). A pirate overlord could ask the player to shoot down a number of police players in a specific system in return for reputation points, or a chief of police may ask a player to take down a few pirates in the same way. The missions would disregard hostile status, so police players can go hostile to kill pirate players and pirates can kill hostile police players and both still get credit for the mission. These would be the only missions besides the standard pvp missions that give reputation points.
#2172 by Platform Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 am
[quote="Djrulz"]So you want something like Side Mission

Mission-Hide N Seek
Difficulty-Vary Hard! (Harder To Find Me!)
Area-Durian
Story line-The Side Mission Platform Has Flee Into A Durian You Must Kill Them
Objective-Kill Platform While He Kill You
Reward-Can Given 100 Hydrogen Crysyal!

I Edited Missions

Im Killing Dominators!
But Im A Pirate On Durian!!!!!!!!!

Ok I How Figure PVP Kill Someone! :D
#3042 by RazorBlade Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 pm
Mission Start: This is a random mission

Mission Type: Mission Stories

Level Required: 12 or above

Mission Intro: Mysterious Transmission
"Hello pilot. We have a strange transmission from a random sender that has been specifically sent to you. It says to meet at the recycle station in Hyperion. We don't know why, but you had probably better go there."
(Objective: Land at Hyperion recycle station, Base mission reward:None)

Mission 1: Boss 1: Tefat
"Mysterious Voice: Hello, human. It is a pleasure to meeeeet you. You ask who am I? Well, I exist somewhere in this universe, lurking among the stars seeking great people like YOU. YOU have great potential little one, to be great and superior among all opposition! You ask how, young one? Well, my first task to reaching great success is to go over to that thing you call, "Tefat" and destroy it. I can not offer hard cash, but I may offer some wisdom..." (Objective: Kill Tefat, Base mission reward: 750 XP only)

Mission 2: Boss 2: Dominator
"Mysterious Voice: Hello again. I greatly appreciate the favor you have done for me. I have another task that is similar to the last one. The prize will be greater than the last, since it will be more difficult. And don't worry about not bringing friends! I enjoy watching little things zip around each other! My next task is located in Durian for you will find Dominator! It is hard to dodge all of it's swiveling turrets, you will be lucky that you can even score a hit without getting a scratch on that new paint coat of yours..." (Objective: Kill Dominator, Base mission reward: 1250 XP only)

Mission 3: Boss 3: Mandrom
"Mysterious Voice: Hello, [Player name]. I will start referring to your name now since you have become such a great captain. [Player name], I now would like you to take on another great task that has troubled even me for a very long time. Mandrom is a great beast of steel and iron that has plagued the Arrenius system. It will be a challenge, maybe. One hint before you leave, it has two stages. One is much more deadly than the other..." (Objective: Kill Mandrom, Base mission reward: 2000 XP only)

Mission 4: Boss 4: Moth Queen
"Mysterious Voice: Hello brave [player name]. You have done well. Your skills have certainly improved since the first time I met you. Unfortunately there are other threats that linger in this galaxy. You will start to notice that some of these other creatures I want you to destroy will have a more biological composition. Your next task is to go to the center of Zerglin, that holds a oversized queen moth with powerful spit glands. Now go, fill your destiny..." (Objective: Kill Moth Queen, Base mission reward: 3000 XP only)

Mission 5: Boss 5: Ossakel
"Mysterious Voice: Hello aga- argh! Why do I always do that? I start with hello and then... never mind. There is this ship like thing patrolling in the north-eastern part of Kritllian that has three weapons aboard, one that has a self healing ability. It can kill quickly, so keep your eye on the Ossakel..." (Objective: Kill Ossakel, Base mission reward: 3750 XP only)

Mission 6: Boss 6: Chelonidron
"Mysterious Voice: [player name], you have done well. You are really starting to show your true potential. But you are still far from reaching the stars, for you have only scratched the surface. There are more dangers to this galaxy than you might think there are. Your next encounter will be very interesting to watch from up here. A fiery beast lurks somewhere in the shadows of Vibrillian, where it will launch wave after wave of bullets, showering the space with a warm red glow. It will be difficult, but you must if you are to reach enlightenment! (Objective: Kill Chelonidron, Base mission reward: 5000 XP only)

Mission 7: Boss 7: Drak
"[player name], this is mission control. We have discovered a large fast war ship named Drak heading toward Hozar, and it doesn't look very friendly! Drak has been assaulting our stations in the system and is eating away at our forces! We need to get some backup right away or else we will suffer heavy casualties! Zip your little ship over to Hozar right now and deal with this menace! We are offering a hefty steel reward if you help us..." (Objective: Kill Drak, Base mission reward: 1000 XP and 10000 steel)

Mission 8: Boss 8: Mother Brain
"Mysterious Voice: Heh, that was fun, was it not? It was I who sent that little present to plunder their storage. Besides, they deserved it anyway. Good job, but the fun is not over yet. A wonderful thing has shown itself in Sarkinon that has caught my eye. A large brain creature is roaming about and it is in your best interest to destroy it. I will still not be offering material goods for your incentive to go, but do not fret, it will be worth your time. (Objective: Kill Mother Brain, Base mission reward: 10000 XP only)

Mission 9: Boss 9: Dread Queen
"Mysterious Voice: Jolly good show, [player name], jolly good show. I just love to see you deal with these pests in such a way. It makes me so jolly. Entertain me more by searching in the elite zone in Mitrillon to the left. A Dread Queen lies at the center, which is guarded by it's fellow minions. Careful, it bites...

Mission Final: Boss 10: Advectorian *Note: This text should be used with the last boss with some edits, if another one exists.*
"Mysterious Voice: [player name], you have done well. You have conquered the stars, explored the distant galaxy, and have defeated foes that only one could dream of. You have climbed over every obstacle and thing in your path. Except one. The Advectorian. It holds great power in it's grasp, a grasp so tight that even the hand of the god of war could not break its bond with the greatest power that exists in this galaxy. This you must find on your own, since I trust you have the power to overcome everything you know of. This is for all you have fought for. (Objective: Kill Advectorian, Base mission reward: 15000 XP only)

End of mission Description:
You have done well, human. The strength, courage, bravery, and good will have led you to one great thing. What is that thing? It's the willpower of persistence and determination. You have this power. All of the input into every keystroke made by YOU, has made this happen. All of this was to show you the power of all these things. To make it through pain, hardship, and sadness to reach the goal. You have reached what you might consider enlightenment. But it is far from over, [player name]. There are still stars to explore, planets to discover, and new things to find. More challenges are in store for you in Astroflux.(Note: This can be the last mission and open end-game content)

Final Notes:

1. Please do not delete all this hard work. :(

2. This can be main story mission

3. Reason for high rewards is an incentive to do the missions

4. Should be given a reasonable amount of time on missions if timed.

HOPE YOU ENJOY. :D

Razors gotta get em' all...
#3046 by NightRage Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 pm
Don't worry nobody will delete this post.
#3057 by pzratnog Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 pm
I really like Razor's idea as a main "story line" and would LOVE to see it be implemented...probably with a few missions between each boss mission. I think it should definitely not be timed as it obviously would be near impossible to level up fast enough to be able to kill the sarkinon elite boss even if you were given a 1 week timer per mission. If there were to be a series of missions just fighting bosses, I think a "boss zone" would be fun. No safe zones, no respawns. You get 1 life and duke it out with boss after boss. People can come in as a group, but once they die, that's it, you start over from the first boss. Increasing rewards for each boss the team makes it through. ( I can't see any team making it through the sark elite boss with 1 life, but I'd love to see someone prove me wrong).

Oh, and mission 11: Kill the game's elite. Mission Description: Kill NightRage, Pack_Man, and pzratnog. Reward: You will be hunted eternally by them. (obviously a joke, although I would enjoy there being a mission out there to kill me. I don't get much pvp action. I'd like to take on groups of eager pilots.)
#3161 by Samuelf Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 pm
Could have some speific requirments, so the mission only appears to people wihint he requirments.
Eg.
Mission- Health Re-supply
Requirment-Nano Bot Lanucher
Diffuculty-Very Easy
Story line: "Compassion is needed comander, so, i want you to show it others by healing them."
Goals: Heal X amount
Reward: X amount of Xp and X amount of materials/junk

For those complianing of mission that there is no point to do, eg land on Earth.
I have an idea.
A 'Tab System', every completion of a mission you can select, 'Add to Tab', once you have enough 'tabbed' missions you may have a free upgrade of your choice, or it could go towards somwthing like junk/minerals.
The higher your level the more you need on your tab, and the higher the upgrade the more you will need on your tab.

For example, a lv 25. 3th upgrade for a weapon, 5th for engine.
May need 40 tabbed missions for a free weapon upgrade but maybe 80 for a free engine upgrade.

Or the missions could have a 'tabbed value', each mission has a number, the harder the mission the higher the value.
So the weapon upgrade could be 400 points.If a real easy 50xp mission was 1 point.

Any good? More missions+a solution to keep high levels who haven't upgraded it all palying for something.

"Failure is the embers to success"

Defiance, is what defines us. How we strike at the walls of suffering
#3691 by 1geo1 Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 am
Ok, I am going to post it, how about instead of all these new, crazy amount of programming new systems and such ,
just a couple get added, a mission in sark, a mission in sark elite, a NEW mission in hyperion even, maybe add one planet to explore to each system.
Just my thoughts....
#4548 by dirt Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 am
OTHER type Mission-When you wish Upon a Star

Difficulty-Medium/hard (may not find a comet in time but easy once found)

Area-Random Rare Mission throughout any system with comets

Story line-Scientists wish to collect a comet for *insert reason here* (weapons potetntial, harvesting, general knowlege. etc..)

Objective- 1) Go to *insert weapons platform here* to pick up a Large Mass Tractor beam.
2) Use the temporary tractor beam (comet collecting only) to tractor a comet to the needed planet or station.

Reward-1 random artifact + 5 flux
#4549 by dirt Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 am
AgentBunni wrote:I was thinking about the mission system in AF and comparing it to missions in other mmo games. Usually, players in mmo's have to go to an NPC (non player character) to receive their missions. Here, of course, headquarters simply use a high-tech email system to assign players to missions. However, if a random person who has no access to a ship needs something done...

Favors-random encounter missions that appear upon landing. An NPC asks the player to do him/her a favor, offering a resource/reputation reward (no experience because they aren't "official" missions from HQ). These missions can be fairly similar to normal timed missions like deliveries and hunts, but would increase in difficulty based on the planet/system level. For example, the player could be asked to deliver a message to another planet, then sent back with a response.
Something that could be included here is faction-based missions (police/pirate). A pirate overlord could ask the player to shoot down a number of police players in a specific system in return for reputation points, or a chief of police may ask a player to take down a few pirates in the same way. The missions would disregard hostile status, so police players can go hostile to kill pirate players and pirates can kill hostile police players and both still get credit for the mission. These would be the only missions besides the standard pvp missions that give reputation points.

I like this. You could also have the mission allert if a player gets close to a certain planet or maybe a disabled ship. "Distress Call Recieved but all you hear is static and the word HELP" Could be someone needing a part for their ship or an ambush. Someone who needs scrap metal or an engine core in exchange for a really nice prize.

RazorBlade wrote:Mission Start: This is a random mission

Mission Type: Mission Stories

Level Required: 12 or above

Mission Intro: Mysterious Transmission
"Hello pilot. We have a strange transmission from a random sender that has been specifically sent to you. It says to meet at the recycle station in Hyperion. We don't know why, but you had probably better go there."
(Objective: Land at Hyperion recycle station, Base mission reward:None)

Mission 1: Boss 1: Tefat
"Mysterious Voice: Hello, human. It is a pleasure to meeeeet you. You ask who am I? Well, I exist somewhere in this universe, lurking among the stars seeking great people like YOU. YOU have great potential little one, to be great and superior among all opposition! You ask how, young one? Well, my first task to reaching great success is to go over to that thing you call, "Tefat" and destroy it. I can not offer hard cash, but I may offer some wisdom..." (Objective: Kill Tefat, Base mission reward: 750 XP only)

etc. etc. etc. *cropped by responder*

Very nice! But some of the dialogue would need to be touched up but even then the dialogue is pretty good!
#4609 by lobstershow Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 am
Hot hot hot!

The scientist of Arrenius are having strongly crossed opinions about functionality of energy shields. Will they protect the user from the all-evaporation heat and radiation of the sun, as it does in theory? Help the scientists out and collect a nice reward for doing so!

Info: Very rare, random mission acquireable anywhere.

Objective: Fly into the sun, and escape.

Reward: 2500 Exp, 1% chance to get the Solar Shield weapon.

Solar Shield

First ever passive weapon!

A spinning arc of solar energy protects the ship from projectiles and damages the enemies it hits.
Base damage: 300/s energy + kinetic
Rounds per second: 1
Arc: 75 degrees at 40 pixels radius

Lv 1: +5% arc width
Lv 2: +15% rps
Lv 3: +5% arc width
Lv 4: +15% rps
Lv 5: +5% arc width
Lv 6: +25% radius, +25% arc width, +25% rps
Last edited by lobstershow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#4619 by darkexcaliber Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm
I agree with the missions statement new missions would be nice rather than just having levelling ones