Suggestions for features or improvements
#73067 by BrianN Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 pm
Its been suggested before, but then that would mean that alot of the mods would have their IPs banned so they said no.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
#73068 by hugojmaia Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:43 pm
From experience working as an admin on a minecraft server I can say that while IP banning seems tempting, it won't even manage to slow down some of the dedicated trolls.
The reason for this is simple, most people have dynamic IP's, pull the plug on the modem, wait 10 seconds, plug it back, bam, new IP.
And that's not even mentioning the use of VPN's which would allow someone to easily mask their IP's with the free ones and continue trolling.
Banning IP ranges is also not feasible, it's another can of worms and just too broad of a method that you'd get a flood of bad comments as soon as you did it.

Note: Minecraft has this authentication on private servers where you can only play on them if you have a a premium account, which limited how many times a troll could effectively dodge bans with alternate account. Now Astroflux? It's free to create an account, so we'll never be able to put a stop to those trolls via banning.

If you wanna fix the situation you need to come up with a clever limitation/requirement that doesn't change anything to the people that are clearly gonna stick around.
#73073 by Bellatrix Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am
BrianN wrote:Its been suggested before, but then that would mean that alot of the mods would have their IPs banned so they said no.

What? I have no idea if this is a joke or of this is supposed to be a real reply...

But as Hugo have explained it banning a specific IP wont help you would need to get the MAC of that persons network card/PC, and even that can be masked. So no we are working on other ways to make sure this problem will be minimal in the future.

Bellatrix, the shining star of Astroflux
#73075 by hugojmaia Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am
Maybe we could go the route valve went with CS:GO, in order to allow an account to use global chat require a valid mobile phone to be linked to the account, allowing multiple accounts to use the same number might be convinient.
Then when a troll appears and starts throwing sludge at global you just ban the mobile number they used to access global chat. This has the same effect as the premium minecraft accounts. In order to continue to be able to troll you gotta go to the store and pick up a new mobile number. It's not expensive, but it's a trip that's far more trouble than just filling in a new fake.
#73077 by BrianN Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:01 pm
Its quite simple IMO...if someone repeatedly abuses, you warn them, and then if they persist, you lock down their main account by matching IPs.

I wasn't talking about you Bella

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
#73078 by 3ace Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm
In regards to the most recent trolling by multiple new accounts, why not keep new players from global until they hit a certain level? The learning curve for real new players usually keeps them off global for a few levels. Trolls know the controls, but if they had to hit level 10 to chat then is it worth it? (Or whatever level is high enough to dissuade them)

Mentioned to Traf a couple of weeks ago and he said it's been brought up before, but seems like a simple fix.
#73079 by bolbi Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:14 pm
If you keep new players from global you also run the risk of losing potential new players as they can't ask for help, and we all know how well this game explains "how to play" :roll:

@BrianN the problem with banning IPs is that you can easily change that with VPNs or just reseting your router. Basically it works like this, "Oh I got IP banned? Time to unplug the router." 1 minute later, "now back to trolling. :twisted: " that is why IP banning isn't as effective as many people think, all it takes is to change that is simply unplugging, and plugging back in a wire.

" 'Whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them.'
(International Standard Version, Luke 6.31)"
#73080 by BrianN Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:01 pm
bolbi wrote:@BrianN the problem with banning IPs is that you can easily change that with VPNs or just reseting your router. Basically it works like this, "Oh I got IP banned? Time to unplug the router." 1 minute later, "now back to trolling. :twisted: " that is why IP banning isn't as effective as many people think, all it takes is to change that is simply unplugging, and plugging back in a wire.

You're not following me...when an account is being naughty many times, you write down his IP, you then tie his IP with the main account, and ban the main account. Takes a little bit of work, but a whole lot less than I put in to expose all the hypocrisy and lies.

#73083 by ladelag Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 pm
BrianN wrote:Its quite simple IMO...if someone repeatedly abuses, you warn them, and then if they persist, you lock down their main account by matching IPs.

I wasn't talking about you Bella

I think that could work, a lot of players don't want to see their main account banned because all the effort and time they have put in that account. But at the same time, i think that solution would not work in the case of persistent trolls like zaeem or seabass.

When the main account of zaeem got perma banned, he decided to start creating an endless number of new accounts to swear and make threats on global. He also named his accounts with offensive names like racist and homophobic related insults. Traf had to spend i don't know how much time on instantly banning his new accounts. But i have to say he hasn't returned to the game since that (or at least that is what it seems).

When seabass/null terminator got his main account perma banned (again), he didn't care and he continued creating new accounts to troll and impersonate players. This is the most persistent troll i have ever seen in AF since i started playing.

So, what would be the solution for persistents trolls like this guys i just described?

Whatever you do, don't fly into the sun.
#74646 by SeabassTheGr899 Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 pm
@Ladelag : Hello! It's me Seabass aka YourTherapist aka Null_Terminator. Clearly, you have an incorrect idea in your head that could continue to cost me my reputation on Astroflux, so I want to clear that up for you and anyone else who reads this thread. After I was banned the second time, that was NOT me who was trolling on global.

After taking traf's advice, and making a new account to restart on the game under the name "Ben Shapiro", I discovered said trolls under my name saying all sorts of crazy stuff on global. I want to emphasize those people who were impersonating me were in fact, not me.

I don't know why nearly 4 months after I was banned the second time, someone was still impersonating under my name (not that they should have been doing it to begin with). I believe this issue arose as a result of you guys directing so much attention at me getting banned again.

Traf has unbanned me while leaving me muted because he realizes that those people were not me and that I'm a good player with good intentions. While I admit I have trolled in the past, it was never to the extent any of these trolls under my name have.

Anyway, now that the level cap for chatting on global has been set to level 10, hopefully, these trolls will give up or at the very least settle down.

SeabassTheGr899
Email: seabassthegr899@gmail.com

Be Happy. Be Bright. Be You.