All AstroFlux related contests go here
#66267 by traf Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 am
Rules are simple. Turn this shape into a ship! A complete "fleshing out" of the design is NOT necessary, but it "may" increase the win chance. This is primarily an art contest, with a 500 flux prize being provided by TheSupreme!

battleship1.PNG
battleship1.PNG (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

The winning design will become either a new contest to flesh out the identity of the ship, or it will go straight to the suggestions forum. Depends on my mood (and the size of my next paycheck lol).

oh, and some extra inspiration: when i created this shape, i thought that the inner 2 holes would make for some nice power generators via fusion of lighter elements. (think tokamak). Note: the preceeding sentence was OPTIONAL inspiration.

Each person is limited to 100 submissions. (Extra points for actually making 100 good posts in this thread :shock:)

Example section, aka NOT PART OF THE CONTEST:
Props to Nightsky for doing a great job on this sprite!
ship2.PNG
ship2.PNG (882 Bytes) Viewed 3408 times

becomes
http://forum.astroflux.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11497

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#66272 by TheScrub Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:32 am
Great idea! Are we allowed more than one submission?

The front is down btw

Real ship is much smaller, just made this to be similar to the size of your sprite.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.38.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.38.46 PM.png (68.03 KiB) Viewed 3405 times

Full description coming soon!

Weapon art:

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 7.47.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 7.47.11 PM.png (63.73 KiB) Viewed 3331 times

Grasp.
This weapon sucks in things towards your ship. It has a one time damage. It works on items and also enemies and players. It deals damage while you are in the pull of this weapon. Does not affect players inside of safe zones.

Damage: 10
Range: 4
Refire: 3
Energy: 9
Difficulty: 5
Last edited by TheScrub on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Our determination is based on our will to survive.

Never.
Give.
Up.
#66284 by I_Am_Jarvis Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 am
Guided Ship Design Entries.PNG
Guided Ship Design Entries.PNG (7.92 KiB) Viewed 3329 times

All three are merely made out of portions of the whole design layout that was given. The bottom one was made out of choice segments and rearranged to make the design I had in mind possible. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure about the middle one... But the symbols are supposed to be scarabs (from in-game), the big brown things are supposed to be armored "shields" to protect the large cannon array in the front... That's pretty much all there is for selling points... The others should be pretty easy to figure out.
Last edited by I_Am_Jarvis on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Many a day, I go through mental debates:
Is there any exception to the 3-Ates?
"Tolerate, Compensate, Mediate."
Alas there is none, they are so great.
Perhaps you can try, but only your best.
For every time, these shall pass the test.
-E. Jarvis
#66332 by traf Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:28 pm
well the original intent was for you guys to use the whole sprite as inspiration. BUT, if you can wow me with only part of it, more power to you. Just know you may or may not be starting with a handicap.

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#66341 by traf Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:49 pm
Well, i gave a sprite, make a ship. That's all I said. How you interpret it is up to you, but keep in mind that I'm the one who's judging it, and I gave you a perfectly nice sprite.

Oh just make a ship already :lol:

― William Howard Taft
#66464 by I_Am_Jarvis Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:17 am
How long does this last until? I'm guessing the end of the year, seeing as you're allowing so many submissions...

Many a day, I go through mental debates:
Is there any exception to the 3-Ates?
"Tolerate, Compensate, Mediate."
Alas there is none, they are so great.
Perhaps you can try, but only your best.
For every time, these shall pass the test.
-E. Jarvis
#66465 by traf Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:20 am
It ends when the interest in adding new submissions ends. (Obviously sooner than the year 2020).

― William Howard Taft
#67209 by traf Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:38 pm
I'm not even sure we have enough entries to even call it a proper contest. I'll see if i can drive more people here somehow.

― William Howard Taft
#67246 by TheScrub Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm
traf wrote:I'm not even sure we have enough entries to even call it a proper contest. I'll see if i can drive more people here somehow.

Can we enter multiple times?

Never.
Give.
Up.
#67258 by Monohelix Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 pm
Timedrifter
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasting time"

[stats]

SHIP BASED ON KANGAROOS CUTOUT:
#67259 by traf Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:47 pm
traf wrote:Each person is limited to 100 submissions. (Extra points for actually making 100 good posts in this thread :shock:)

Only if you read the first post :)

― William Howard Taft
#67268 by TheScrub Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:04 am
traf wrote:
traf wrote:Each person is limited to 100 submissions. (Extra points for actually making 100 good posts in this thread :shock:)

Only if you read the first post :)

Challenge accepted.

Never.
Give.
Up.