For discussion of The AstroFlux Forums
#74554 by DaGGerz Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm
Inactive moderators separated from active moderators with a yellow colour to denote them. Please do not msg or email these moderators as they will very likely not reply.

#74600 by 3ace Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:19 am
They want mod powers but not mod duties. Most "inactive" mods are only good for popping into the game and pissing people off.
#74611 by Bellatrix Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm
The idea is that those mods that are not active today are known to the community. If they decide to come back at one point they are welcome back. No need to kick them or no harm from them being inactive.

Bellatrix, the shining star of Astroflux
#74613 by mt10kardans Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm
Bellatrix wrote:The idea is that those mods that are not active today are known to the community. If they decide to come back at one point they are welcome back. No need to kick them or no harm from them being inactive.

But if they never come back? I play this game for about 1.5 years and some of mods dint even see while playing.
#74619 by traf Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm
I believe we still call yeast inactive even if it hasn’t done anything in several years :)

Besides: “these mods are currently inactive” is equally as true if they logged on a month ago or 357 years ago.

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#74620 by BrianN Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 pm
3ace wrote:They want mod powers but not mod duties. Most "inactive" mods are only good for popping into the game and pissing people off.

...and getting compensated for doing nothing...Several of the "inactive" mods ive seen around but never do any moderating for my 3 years here.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
#74622 by traf Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am
What you see and what they’re actually doing can be wildly different. Not to say that you’re wrong, but moderation doesn’t have to be flashy.

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#74625 by porridgehead Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 am
A great deal of moderation is done via pm so as not to name and shame. This mostly occurs when a known player goes off unexpectedly or a new player violates the rules inadvertently. Rather than publicly humiliate them, a Mod might have a private chat to address the situation or player. Thus some mods might not publicly appear to be doing their job, yet are diligantly working in the background.

While you are fully aware of this Brian, I am explaining it so other, less experienced, players understand. Yes, there are some mods who moderate more actively than others when they are on. We do not have a uniform hive mind when it comes to moderation.

Naturally all this makes it that much easier for true slackers like me to coast along and reap the awesome rewards that being a Mod bestows by the pangalactic mega-cubit. The cult, groupies, cars, parties, boats, power... it truly is great to be a Mod.

Trust me.
#74630 by Nightsky Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 pm
As an ex-mod of a game and being a moderator in a forum and discord server I want to share something here.

Being a moderator doesn't feel great. However it feels nice to have this feeling of responsibility and being in charge of the game/network/community. The sole purpose why I am a moderator in a few places is because I actually spend a good time doing my job there. And the reason why I'm an ex-mod in the game is because I wasn't active for a week plus I was starting to lose interest in this game.

To put the current situation of astroflux' moderation in terms it would be called moderator corruption. Quite a few moderators here have a shady background. And I can tell that from both other player's experience and my own experience. I don't want to call names so don't ask for names either. Moderator corruption is responsible for a toxic/annoyed community which can be seen in Astroflux.

Inactive moderators should be demoted. Knowing from the forum and the game a moderator's absence is usually 'punished' with a demotion. Either that or with a previous warning. It doesn't matter if someone did his job really good. If you go work somewhere and you miss without a trace/excuse you will get fired as well. That however doesn't seem to be the case in Astroflux as even moderators with more than a year of absence are still being kept as moderators. I may kindly ask: Why? If they return and they have a good appearance in the game, you can make them moderators again. There is no big deal with that.

Lastly I want to pick up one sentence of porridgehead:
A great deal of moderation is done via pm so as not to name and shame. This mostly occurs when a known player goes off unexpectedly or a new player violates the rules inadvertently. Rather than publicly humiliate them, a Mod might have a private chat to address the situation or player. Thus some mods might not publicly appear to be doing their job, yet are diligantly working in the background.

I may add to this that various games and forums (and discord servers) announce the kick/ban of a player to inform other players their absence. This is not humiliation, this is strict informing. Also this shows activity among the moderation which has been complained about in astroflux for quite some time.

regards~

#74638 by BrianN Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:46 am
Yeah Porridge, I said it in another thread, but to lump all of the mods together isn't fair...the recent additions have been great choices. Most of the problem mods are pretty much gone, but they have passed the torch to some of their clanmates.

I think that gamebans should be announced and reason given. It will help to dissuade people from falling into the wrong crowds.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke