For discussion of The AstroFlux Forums
#69686 by NinjaKaleSplat Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 am
Should politics even be allowed on the forums? A lot of what's wrong with the game is that there's a far left side and a far right side. These cause arguments that spiral out of hand and then have to be locked. Also, not everybody on the forums is from the U.Ss, so not everyone would be interested in these topics. Making the forum intolerant of political speech will allow the community to heal bit by bit, as well as attract more players to the game.

Do not make yourself the protagonist, or it will seem everyone else is the antagonist. I learned that the hard way.
#69687 by TheCen Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 am
KaleSplat wrote:Should politics even be allowed on the forums? A lot of what's wrong with the game is that there's a far left side and a far right side. These cause arguments that spiral out of hand and then have to be locked. Also, not everybody on the forums is from the U.Ss, so not everyone would be interested in these topics. Making the forum intolerant of political speech will allow the community to heal bit by bit, as well as attract more players to the game.

You mean in off topic. Where it's perfectly okay under the forum rules to discuss such things? Or do you just want to censor us further?

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#69688 by NinjaKaleSplat Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 am
TheCen wrote:
KaleSplat wrote:Should politics even be allowed on the forums? A lot of what's wrong with the game is that there's a far left side and a far right side. These cause arguments that spiral out of hand and then have to be locked. Also, not everybody on the forums is from the U.Ss, so not everyone would be interested in these topics. Making the forum intolerant of political speech will allow the community to heal bit by bit, as well as attract more players to the game.

You mean in off topic. Where it's perfectly okay under the forum rules to discuss such things? Or do you just want to censor us further?

Sometimes, censoring the players will have a better effect than not censoring them. The players should not be allowed to talk political as it causes fights and damage to the community. The community needs to heal up before Astroflux becomes a place full of raging people. This would then would make forums practically useless as there's always going to be the one guy who ruins posts because there's politics in chats.

Do not make yourself the protagonist, or it will seem everyone else is the antagonist. I learned that the hard way.
#69692 by bolbi Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:07 am
Well if we disallowed politics on the forum, then we'd just have even more people talking about it in game which would be even worse IMO. Honestly I don't even pay attention to those posts cause I just don't want to be involved, so it won't really effect me either way.

" 'Whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them.'
(International Standard Version, Luke 6.31)"
#69693 by TheCen Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:20 am
bolbi wrote:Well if we disallowed politics on the forum, then we'd just have even more people talking about it in game which would be even worse IMO. Honestly I don't even pay attention to those posts cause I just don't want to be involved, so it won't really effect me either way.

Well said. Why do you even care Kale? You haven't even said anything in that post... yet you feel the need we shouldn't talk about it? That's fair?

And.. so far those 2 political posts have been really civilized. You do know it's perfectly okay to disagree with another person and not also have them be your mortal enemy. Just because I disagree with Supreme's stance on political issues doesn't mean I hate Supreme or that he is my mortal enemy.

You may like the color blue. While, I like the color green (as evidenced by all my green ships). Just because you like blue and I like green doesn't mean the game is going to fall apart over a difference of opinion.

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#69694 by BrianN Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:40 am
You're joking right?

"Should politics even be allowed on the forums"
And you put it in meta

"A lot of what's wrong with the game is that there's a far left side and a far right side."
The game or politics?

"These cause arguments that spiral out of hand and then have to be locked. "
I havent seen any of them being locked...and the latest one to spiral out of hand has been taken care of.

"Also, not everybody on the forums is from the U.Ss, so not everyone would be interested in these topics."
Then ignore them like I ignore ship design topics.

"Making the forum intolerant of political speech will allow the community to heal bit by bit,"
Because this forum has such a history of being peaceful without bringing politics into it.

"as well as attract more players to the game."
Surely, you are joking.

Or are you just sore that Supreme got outed as a bigot? Well, he did that to himself.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke
#69697 by porridgehead Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:41 am
As long as the discourse remains civil, it is allowed. If you prefer that it not be allowed, your are cordially invited to ignore the offending topic.

Such are the wonders of off-topic.
#69705 by NinjaKaleSplat Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:28 am
porridgehead wrote:As long as the discourse remains civil, it is allowed. If you prefer that it not be allowed, your are cordially invited to ignore the offending topic.

Such are the wonders of off-topic.

I do not find them offending, other players might. Two players that I will not mention get easily offended (From personal experience), and will strive to cause arguments.

#69707 by Bianca Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm
No good idea.
You want to cap free speach, that is the first step on killing democracy.

I am not from the US, but I am interessted in what happens there, it has much influence to the world, including my little world.

KaleSplat wrote:..., so not everyone would be interested in these topics. ...

Noone is forced to read in forums, its completely by free will.

KaleSplat wrote:...
I do not find them offending, other players might. ...

You should speak only for yourself

Time runs its own way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trhh6BJuBqI

With a wasp at your side you never fight alone
#69770 by Bellatrix Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm
Kale, censorship has never shown to be good to solve any issue. It just looks good from the outside, but all the issues just boil underneath and explode at some point.

Discussion is a much better way to move forward, as long as their is no personal attacks during that I see no issue with it.

Bellatrix, the shining star of Astroflux
#69773 by traf Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm
When a minority gets to control what is or is not allowable to speak about, simply by deciding to be offended or not, then we have a problem.

Kale's ideas offend me. Let's ban Kale :)

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#69806 by Chris22 Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:37 pm
Bianca wrote:
Chris22 wrote:Can someone please censor kale

Why?

He did nothing wrong.

Either are people that are talking about politics in a off topic section. So I figured if he wanted to ask for something stupid I would too.
#70821 by AC-Archangel Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 pm

No they shouldnt. I dont go to offtopic anymore because the arguerers cant just make one topic about it. Sick of it

When the game dies remember to say sorry you didnt listen to me magnus.

http://rainmercs.freeforums.org/index.php