For discussion of The AstroFlux Forums
#63124 by TheSupreme Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:10 pm
I have mentioned this before and I think I should mention it again because it is very beneficial to online communities.

phpbb is becoming very outdated and a thing of the past, this is no longer a top software.

XenForo has hundreds upon hundreds of useful community features, I'll list a few here.

LIVE POST EDITOR
No more seeing
Code: Select all [b]when making something bold.[/b]
It will instead display as bold right there the moment you put it down. Images, links, youtube videos, makes it so much more user friendly especially to those who know little about a forum.

Quotes posted by users will be UPDATED when the original post is edited or changed.
Users can like posts. Your likes and dislikes are showed publicly in your profile.

A CLEAN LOOK
The forum is compact, clean, very neat and easy on the eyes. It makes a forum look worlds better.

NOTIFICATIONS
A very useful notification system(which in settings you may change!) allows for so many things phpbb does not.
On threads you post on or create you will receive notifications when someone quotes your posts, likes your posts, dislikes your posts, reports your post. You can also tag users an alert them to the thread simply by typing @Username. You can disable these alerts in user settings.

WORKING SPOILERS
Yes this does not work, you can't hide an image or other fun content here!

CONVERSATIONS
You can privately message other users and receive alerts when they reply back.
You can add other forum users INTO the conversation. You can edit and delete your posts. The conversations are almost like a forum thread in itself, very compact and useful.

XenForo License costs $140 USD. This is not at all bad, especially with all the features this forum software can offer. It is VERY easy to setup a demo forum for testing too! https://xenforo.com/demo/

Afraid of the price? I'll buy the licence ! :)
This forum could be locked and be set as an archive. Users could carry their posts and threads over.

Phpbb is dying!

Discord ID
TheSupreme#4703
#63125 by Nightsky Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:18 pm
"I'll buy the license" Already makes me think about what your intentions REALLY are...

Nevertheless, the current forum is okay... XenForo is full of features and easier to use, okay, i can agree to that. but honestly: Who really needs it? I don't need it. I can private message someone if i insist, i see when i get a message back, i'm 24/7 in the forums anyways and the current features given to me are enough... I don't see why we would need any change if this forum does it too. The only thing i would love to see here is a shoutbox but that's about it. I don't really need real time notifications... my browser refreshes the page every hour and if i post an idea/thread i usually refresh myself quite often.

Regards ~

#63128 by TheSupreme Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:36 pm
Nightsky wrote:"I'll buy the license" Already makes me think about what your intentions REALLY are...

Nevertheless, the current forum is okay... XenForo is full of features and easier to use, okay, i can agree to that. but honestly: Who really needs it? I don't need it. I can private message someone if i insist, i see when i get a message back

Firstly, my intentions are not malicious and I am perfectly willing to provide a license for software I suggested.

We don't need it, but it would certainly boost the community. Everything about it is so much better, you can communicate so much easier.

All the modern day game websites, even professional business are running the XenForo software. Astroflux forums are being left outdated.. :)

Discord ID
TheSupreme#4703
#63129 by NinjaKaleSplat Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:03 pm
+0.5

Honestly, I like the forums the way they are, but I mean, they could use an update...

Do not make yourself the protagonist, or it will seem everyone else is the antagonist. I learned that the hard way.
#63890 by AC-Archangel Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:01 am
Ive seen quite a few xenforo forums, i want this, @DaGGerz why cant we have nice things?

@prickles i disagree, itd be a astroflux forum, the devs should foot the bill. Plus i dort think ANY player should foot the whole bill, itd get them all roostery if you know what i mean.

When the game dies remember to say sorry you didnt listen to me magnus.

http://rainmercs.freeforums.org/index.php
#63912 by DaGGerz Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:46 pm
AC-Archangel wrote:Ive seen quite a few xenforo forums, i want this, @DaGGerz why cant we have nice things?

Because the world isn't all sunshine and lolipops..

Also cause I don't have root privileges to the forum, only the devs have those powers.