Post what you've discovered, guides, hints & tips
#70906 by Magenta Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am
The Cosmic Speed Limit in the Astroflux Universe.
Magenta

Abstract. It has been noted for some time that when using very high value speed arts, all ships tend to converge to roughly the same maximum speed. Detailed testing has revealed that this is indeed the case. Maximum ship speed in the astroflux universe is +650% +/- 15%.

Method. Timed runs were done in Sarkinon between the warp gate and the furthermost recycle station in the elite zone. Each run was done at constant speed. A run-up was allowed to get the ship upto full speed and then the timer started as the ship passed the start line. All runs were done with a ship with lv6 engines. After each run the ships speed was increased by +50%. As the only ships avaliable were Assassin and Explorer, the lowest value tested was +16% speed (The assassins base speed). The highest value tested was +920% speed.

Results
Measured Time vs Ship Speed Bonus

Red line in the graph is the expected value. We see the results are consistent with what we expect until we reach the +600% to +700% range, at which point the travel times suddenly flatten off.

The effect may not look very pronounced, but it is clearer if we use our measued travel times to calculate the actual observed velocity. i.e:

Ship speed bonus vs Actual calculated Speed.

Now we see quite clearly that ship speed hits a cap around +650%.

Conclusion. Ship speed is capped. Gosh. If you can reach these speeds in your main gun boat, then its time to officially bury your Explorer.

Acknowledgements. Thanks to Jes for repeatedly racing back and forth across Zergtilin to verify that Assassin and Explorer do indeed converge to the identical speed, despite the Explorer having a significantly larger calculated speed.
#70907 by Bellatrix Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:03 pm
As allways, great work and fun to read!

Bellatrix, the shining star of Astroflux
#70936 by Korund Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 am
Nice find.
But how could you reach those high numbers? From arts you can get max. 150% and another 100% from explorer. Add another 10%base from elite tech and assuming that it is multiplicative you get (100base + 150 arts + 100 explorer)*1,1 et = 385.
Yet you reach 920. Do you factor in the use of 'E' somehow?
#70939 by Magenta Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 pm
You are right, you don't get the top end speeds by playing nice. You have to abuse perma-boost. Turns out boost is multiplicative as well, hence with max elite-tech you can get x3 speed.

For these tests Max speed came from:
(100base + 140arts + 100explorer)x3 = 1020 -> +920%
#71119 by DaGGerz Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am
Speed limit is there for used against cheaters/hackers really. Just like how there's a theoretical damage cap (that no one can reach iirc).

It's uncapped on dev accounts though, it's funny to see Magnus flying around Fulzar at the speed of light.

#71151 by TheShredder Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:26 pm
DaGGerz wrote:Speed limit is there for used against cheaters/hackers really. Just like how there's a theoretical damage cap (that no one can reach iirc).

It's uncapped on dev accounts though, it's funny to see Magnus flying around Fulzar at the speed of light.

Rate of fire is not capped so the damage cap is useless if it's used against cheaters.infinite rof=infinite dps,if you know what i mean ;)

TheSurgeon
#71152 by bolbi Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 pm
TheShredder wrote:
DaGGerz wrote:Speed limit is there for used against cheaters/hackers really. Just like how there's a theoretical damage cap (that no one can reach iirc).

Rate of fire is not capped so the damage cap is useless if it's used against cheaters.infinite rof=infinite dps,if you know what i mean ;)

Doesn't the fact that the servers are pretty sucky limit this? I mean even on good days I can't shoot my gat. gun at full rof. Or were you just going for in theory?

" 'Whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them.'
(International Standard Version, Luke 6.31)"
#71196 by Magenta Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 am

Yes, I figured the limit was probably put in for this reason. I'm also guessing this limit was put in some time ago, when maximum potential speeds were much lower, and then forgotten about. This limit is currently readily attainable by any player with a fast ship and half decent arts.

bolbi wrote:Doesn't the fact that the servers are pretty sucky limit this? I mean even on good days I can't shoot my gat. gun at full rof. Or were you just going for in theory?

You should do some science. Time how long it takes you to kill a spawner in fulzar with gat and no arts. Then keep increasing your rof and retesting. Then plot kill time vs rof. If the graph levels off, you got an issue.
#71199 by bolbi Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 am
I was more making a smart ass remark cause of lag that everyone complains about constantly, I know high rof makes lag much worse for me. Also while it's a great idea, I don't have the patience, much resources, or time to do this efficiently. Plus I am kind of doubting wether or not gattling has a rof limit within reach. However I do know for a fact (99.9% certain didn't test extensively) that Eagle needles has a cap on rof so I wouldn't be suprised if there is some part of the code for each weapon that limits the rof of each weapon, some being obtainable by the arts and ETs we have now and others just for hackers.

" 'Whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them.'
(International Standard Version, Luke 6.31)"
#71204 by Dmitry Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am
An actual rof cap or is the rof capped by a sprite limit for weapons? I've never noticed a cap other than by not being able to have more than a certain amount of active "bullets" for some weapons
#71205 by TheScythe Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 am
An actual rof cap, though it's usually impossible to reach normally for most weapons

TheDepraved
#71215 by Magenta Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am
I briefly tested two weapons for rof caps. All done on assassin unfortunately, so no ship bonus to attack speed.

Gattling Lazer.
From arts and overdrive get +462% attack speed.
Use rof elite tech (50%) on gattling lazer, this doubles attack speed.
Max rof = 675 rounds per second.
Result: Visually number of shots keeps increasing with attack speed, damage also increases linearly with attack speed.
Conclusion: No cap observed.

Neutron Gun.
Same setup as above.
Max rof = 430 rounds per second.
Result: Visually number of shots seems fixed reguardless of attack speed. Damage increases linearly with attack speed.
Conclusion: No damage cap observed. Very low visual cap.