Post what you've discovered, guides, hints & tips
#53381 by Magenta Fri May 13, 2016 7:40 am
The Zen of Multi-line Arts
Multi-line arts are a little more complex than single liners. In this thread we try to understand their specific mechanics.

Multi-line Arts in Their Natural State
Once you have seen a few multi-liners, you will know that the first line is typically the strongest and each subsequent line is weaker than the one above it. However when you first find an art, the ratios between the different lines can vary wildly.
For example:
The art on the left has much higher level, yet the All-Resist value on the first line is smaller. The reason is obvious in this example, the art on the right has a strong bias to its first line, at the expense of its second line. This level of variation between such similar arts is quite common in multi-liners when they are first found.

Upgrading Multi-Line Arts
When we upgrade multi-line arts, not all lines upgrade at the same speed. As we saw above, not all lines get their equal share of of 'levels' when the art is first created. When we upgrade the lines that are weaker than what you would have expected are heavily prioritized when the art upgrades. In particular multi-level upgrades will often dump almost all their upgrades into a single line and that line will always be the one that is weakest (for the art level and the line position). The net effect is that all arts tend to gravitate to the same ratio between their lines as the art upgrades.

In the example above, the art on the right will only receive minimum upgrades to its all-resist value, the second line will upgrade significantly faster.

Exceptional, Superior, Normal
When an art is exceptional or superior it only refers to the first line of the art. Other lines can be exceptional and superior as well, but whether they are or not is independent of the first line. The art does not tell you if lines other than the first are exceptional or superior, sometimes it is obvious, other times less so.

For example:
Here we have a clear example of art that has received an exceptional bonus to its second line, but not its first line.

Evaluating Arts
So what does this all mean? Well, if you have understood the above points and once you have seen enough arts to get a feel of what their values 'should' be, you can start to predict what an art will look like after it upgrades.

Random Example 1:
Only lv66 and is already +100% kinetic dmg. If this upgraded to lv100 would the kinetic bonus increase to +150% dmg? No, it wouldn't. The first line has been heavily favored at the expense of the last line. Almost all the upgrades will go into the worthless last line.

Random Example 2:
Only 92% energy damage here. Power bonus and all-damage are nice, but not worth keeping with such a small energy bonus. But i'm upgrading it, because first line is clearly undernourished and thus I expect large gains from upgrades.

And as expected:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unconfirmed Theories
Initial level
In my experience multi-liners tend to have a smaller standard deviation to their start level. As the number of lines increases so does the decrease in deviation from the average (average is ~60% of potential level). Multiliners that actually exceed their potential level when the are created are rare in the extreme.

Unbalanced Arts Get Better Upgrades
I don't have the volume of data to confirm this. But upgrades don't seem to push arts out of balance, so once all the lines of an art have levelled out to their proper ratio, only small upgrades can be expected. Similarly arts that are totally out of wack often receive huge (lv15+) upgrades.
Last edited by Magenta on Fri May 13, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#53394 by RadiantStorm Fri May 13, 2016 10:46 am
Brilliant post, great job in explaining this as many players may have trouble with the hardest part of the game, the arts and crew. You mind if I place this in the Wiki?

Oh and might be a good idea to sticky this thread. I see it can be a great help to anyone having trouble with multi-line arts

Former Admiral and Creator of Nezerian Fleet

Eagle Eye King (sorry traf)
#53396 by traf Fri May 13, 2016 11:12 am
I believe I'm allowed to sticky things . . . so . . . stickied!

edit: someone beat me to it!

Please feel free to private message me!

"Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you."

“Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood.”
― William Howard Taft
#53397 by porridgehead Fri May 13, 2016 12:09 pm
That would be me. Magenta alluded to this on another post and I was going to ask about it, but never followed up. This post far exceeded my expectations and is right up there in importance as dmats training guide. It takes a little understood concept and distills it into easily comprehended terms. This needs an entry in the Wiki.
#53399 by Magenta Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 pm
Thanks for all the positive feedback and a sticky, woo :). You are of course welcome to put this on the wiki.
#53403 by Draconis Fri May 13, 2016 12:54 pm
Magenta wrote:Thanks for all the positive feedback and a sticky, woo :). You are of course welcome to put this on the wiki.

ILY right now, I can't count the times people asked me how good an art will upgrade and when I tell them what it might look like they always ask me to make a post explaining this. I'm lazy tho... Plus there's no way I would've done a job this good. Seriously, love this post. #NoHomo

I always make a tinyurl for posts or videos that have valuable information needing to be shared with newbies. So here's the one for this.

http://tinyurl.com/af-artifacts

#53405 by Draconis Fri May 13, 2016 1:01 pm
Something I realized only recently (in the last 6 months or less) is that artifacts can sometimes get two multi-level upgrades in one go. Like a 4 line art, you know how much per level the upgrade will give, and you notice 2-3 lines have +4 +3 +12 on them but only the first line got +4 so that's what the popup tells you when you KNOW that the second line was actually +12. Any data on that?

#53409 by Will Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 pm
Nice hypotheses and experiments.

My curious nature leads me to wonder: Why? Is this inherent in the design of the game, or is this getting into the chaos theory realm? The smaller standard deviation to start level based on the number of lines (unproven as you say, but interesting), the majority of the upgrade going to a single line, and usually to the weakest line...wow.

The ratio thing is the simplest explanation. So the program tries to achieve some kind of "ratio" of values given the number of lines? Maybe an extensive experiment could determine what that "ratio" is, or get very close to it. That way we could probably predict, within a very small error, what a fully upgraded artifact would become. Probably overkill, but still interesting to think about.

But perhaps the explanation isn't that obvious. If so, why this occurs becomes an even more interesting question (hence the reference to chaos theory).

I've never catalogued all my artifacts in a spreadsheet. I always want to, but always am busy with other things (besides the game of course). Maybe I should now. The possibilities of this, beyond just being helpful in the game, are very intriguing.

I've strayed. Great work Magenta.

I am the monster that breathing men would kill...

BLUE HAWKS ELITE
#53649 by Draconis Mon May 16, 2016 11:56 am
here's an upgrade to analyze... try to count the amount of levels in this one upgrade...
and here is the starting point
and here we are with the aftermath

you'll notice what cen means by the pop-up being wrong, the two dmg% lines were both 0.1% off from what they displayed in the pop up
Last edited by Draconis on Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#53651 by TheCen Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 pm
@Magenta, have you taking into account the popups that show art upgrades are not always accurate?

I have a google spreadsheet that I've been recording my art upgrades on. It might help you in your analyzing of the arts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ff3zQTNRKJT0PjWnoPcaBfl_NubOW44tx4ticmTo0U4/pubhtml

WARNING:
DON'T TRUST ANY MODERATOR. THEY DELETE YOUR COMMENTS. MODERATORS IN GENERAL HAVE RUINED THE GAME PLAY OF MANY INDIVIDUALS. AND THEY JUST KEEP DOING IT. NO REGARDS FOR RESPECT.
#53969 by Ozymandias Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 am
This is great!

I've started my own work on analysing the arts without the knowledge of this thread existence, and can confirm multiline arts potential levels are usually much lower than potential (i'm farming 90lvl+ arts, highest 4 line was 71, however I only note the good arts info).

Maybe the conclusion of my thread - more lines = more stat values, would be good to include in here, since the values increase is really high.

I am not a comic book villain.
#55777 by Peter2 Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:45 pm
very nice post..very usefull
for the 0.1% upgrade bug value not added i think the values are rounded.
before, after and the value gain by the uprade.
so 1.2(1.151)+0.2(0.151)=1.4(1.302) -->1.300 result and not 1.4 as u should except.